testing ammo

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dontshootcritters

testing ammo

Post by dontshootcritters »

Hi guys.Ive just had my Bleiker Chellenger in the rig[recoiling] testing 3 batches of Match.1040,1068 and 1077 fps respectively and a batch of Tenex.All EPS type.The Tenex was better by a small margin but I wouldn't not buy the Match if I was basing my tests on groups/results.All groups were at 25 metres indoor and each group had 10 shots.Screws not altered at any stage and set at the factory setting of 5nm.I was very surprised I must say that all four shot patterns were very similar and no nasty flyers.Ok it was only 10 shots and with no wind so please don't add comments about my poor testing.I have in the past tested ammo with other rifles and the results have been different.I have not found any ammo that the Bleiker doesn't like.....if its owner doesn't pull the trigger at a stupid time!
So in summing up perhaps Eley are becoming more consistent or Bleiker are building rifles that cope well with different ammo batches? All three batches of Match were from different machines.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Not really sure testing batches at 25M tells you much at all, but if as you say all batches were closer than you've previously noted then that's reassuring.

I keep thinking about batch testing my barrel, I'm just not sure it's worth it at my level and I'm certainly not about to pay twice the amount for tennex, when match works fine. We do however have the opportunity to test lapua shortly so I might consider having a look at that as they let you test different types not only the most expensive.

Rob.
Martin Catley

Testing

Post by Martin Catley »

It is interesting/ no important to us here in NZ to get excellent groupng at 25Yds as we are shooting at this distance for over six Months of the year Indoors. Also we have just moved to a much tougher Target which is supposed to equal the 50Mtr one, I personally am getting better scores Outdoor for some reason.
Our previous target was scaled to the previous 50Mtr one (ISSF)
RobStubbs

Re: Testing

Post by RobStubbs »

Martin Catley wrote:It is interesting/ no important to us here in NZ to get excellent groupng at 25Yds as we are shooting at this distance for over six Months of the year Indoors. Also we have just moved to a much tougher Target which is supposed to equal the 50Mtr one, I personally am getting better scores Outdoor for some reason.
Our previous target was scaled to the previous 50Mtr one (ISSF)
My point was partly that the spread pattern will be different at 25Y, 50M and 100Y. So for example some people have a great ammo for 50M but it's poor at 100Y. I also don't believe the causes of variation (powder, speed, bullet head etc) have as much effect at 25Y as they do at 50M even allowing for just the simple maths of (about) half the distance.

I think the above is the reason why all smallbore customer test ranges are 50M and not 25Y.

Rob.
Albert T

25m target NZ

Post by Albert T »

Hello Martin,
can you tell me more about the 25m indoor target you are now using (ring diameters etc.)?
In The Netherlands we have many 25m indoor ranges for pistol and it would be nice if we could train smallbore rifle indoor in wintertime.

Thanks,
Albert T (The Netherlands)
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

To reduce target rings taking into account that a distance changes but a bullet not at all, use for example excel file, that I prepared many years ago for the High Noon Postal Competition :-)

http://www.lfits.pl/highnoon/gg_tt.zip
Martin Catley

Rob

Post by Martin Catley »

Rob totally agree with you I was just trying to say we shoot a lot at 25Yds, a fair proportion of our people never shoot Out doors in Summer for some reason!

Albert I will see if I can find the details it is fairly demanding, probably similar to the British one but not sure.