tight belt legal?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

tight belt legal?

Post by seamaster »

I shoot better when I wear a thick tight belt.

Just wondering if the thick tight belt is legal? Or for that matter, is back support belt legal? Or for that matter, any belt reasonably thick in width tighten for support legal?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

It depends whether the match officials consider it "immobilizes or unduly reduces the movement of the athlete's legs, body or arms".

If they do then it's not legal. If they don't then it is.

It is extremely difficult, usually impossible, to make a judgement from a photograph, let alone just a description.

Use common sense.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Any belt, if tighten sufficiently, will immobilize the back and render support. No?
jr

Post by jr »

I don't know just how tight you mean, or what position you wear your belts (1980's style high or 2000's style low), but either way, there are some short-term and long-term considerations to think about - see:

http://sheerbalance.com/brettsblog/heal ... too-tight/

And I can't think a belt that would fit inside standard belt loops would immobilize enough to help, and I'd rather think a judge would not allow anything thicker under the rules that David Levene quotes above.

Also, I just about passed out once because of a way-too-tight waist pack - it was during a long run in the hills, so my pack was full of water and food and I had cinched it super-tight around my waist so it wouldn't bounce; anyway, as I was running up a hill I started to get disoriented and having tunnel vision. Not saying this is the kind of thing that will happen while you're shooting, but I think anything that decreases blood flow and/or constricts your gut can't be good.

Anyway, that's just my opinion - I'm not *that* kind of doctor...
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Seamaster;

Are you really asking this question ?

Most belt loops are 1.5"
I could wear my thick CCW belt and cinch it down and it would look like normal attire.

Now if you would wear a full blown back support belt for lifting I would think a lot of bells and whistles would go off, no ?

I think you know the answer to your own question.

Just saying...

Clarence :)
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

What I am asking is whether tighten your belt, or for that matter any belt, is technically legal?

Just like those laced up to ankle shooting shoes we used to have in the 1980's. They are no longer legal.

Could someone foresee future inspection of belts to make sure they are not "supporting back" tight?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

seamaster wrote:...Could someone foresee future inspection of belts to make sure they are not "supporting back" tight?
If shooters start 'pushing' this line to the absurd, undoubtedly.
We already have inspections for taping.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Have someone wear a hard corset underneath the shirt. I wonder can the official needs to the restroom to perform a check.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

conradin wrote:Have someone wear a hard corset underneath the shirt. I wonder can the official needs to the restroom to perform a check.
Of course it can be checked.

See section 6.7.9 of the ISSF rules.

In major matches you expect to see match officials accompanying shooters to rest-rooms or changing areas for clothing and taping checks.