Championship of the Americas?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

IPshooter

Championship of the Americas?

Post by IPshooter »

Unless I'm wrong, this continental championship would normally be fired this year. However, I can find no info on it.

Does anyone know if this competition is no longer in business?

TIA

Stan
HPitts

Pershing match?

Post by HPitts »

Are you wanting to know about the Pershing (nor sure of the spelling) Match at Camp Perry National Matches ?
Howard
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

In a game of political ping-pong, the ISSF moved it to the same year as the PAG (year before the Olympics) in 2011 and started handing out quota places at CAT, with a concomitant reduction of quota slots available at PAG.

Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Actually, the ISSF made it so you can only get quotas during or after the World Championships, so the CAT games originally scheduled for 2009 were moved to the fall of 2010. I believe it is also scheduled for later in the year after the World Championship in 2014.

Eric U
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Eric U wrote:Actually, the ISSF made it so you can only get quotas during or after the World Championships, so the CAT games originally scheduled for 2009 were moved to the fall of 2010. I believe it is also scheduled for later in the year after the World Championship in 2014.

Eric U
Ah, that's right. The ISSF website has been 504 for me so I haven't been able to fact-check.

At least I got the cats playing ping-pong part correct.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Eric U wrote:Actually, the ISSF made it so you can only get quotas during or after the World Championships...
I believe the IOC made a ruling that qualification for the Olympics in any sport could only be gained in the 2 years before the opening ceremony.

The 2010 World Championships were about a week inside that limit.

With the 2016 opening ceremony scheduled for 5th August, the World Championships in Spain will be in September 2014.

I cannot remember the last time they were that late in the year.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Thanks for the info. Looks like 2014 will be a busy year.

John and Eric,

Do you know any details about when the selection matches will start? Wouldn't the process normally begin with selection matches this fall?

Oops. Just found the USAS link to the 300m selection match at Benning in August. Looks like that will kick off the process for rifle. Still not sure about pistol.

Stan