FWB P44 finish quality? need testimony

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
OOKAMI

FWB P44 finish quality? need testimony

Post by OOKAMI »

Hi everybody!

I'm a new shooter (I'm on my 2d season) and already addict to the 10 m precision. So I decided to buy my first own pistol.

I'm glad to join your community and after reading you for a long time I know ask for your help.

Until now I used the excellent Hammerli AP40 (no balance) of my club, equiped with rink grip. I was thinking of buying the Balance version but it seems that Walther, for strategic matter (understand make people buy LP400 instead of the Hammerli product), is abandoning the AP40 (no more in the online catalogue, no air cylinders produced in 2013, all are from 2012 etc...).

So I conscientiously studied the subject, reading topics from a lot of forums, but sadly information is very rare when you don't want to talk about the perpetual Steyr LP10 or Morini... (they are absolutely no an option to me)

Now I'm seriously considering the Feinwerbau P44. Construction and reliability seem to be equal to the actual standards.
My concern is about the quality of the finish. I've read and seen that the blue version was painted and not anodised what could let appear wear marks where the lever rubs. A read that a shooter saw wear scratches on the barrel AND the air cylinder after 2 sessions only (it was blue version).
I questioned various german retailers to know if FWB had changed its painting method and his answer was that he doubted it very much.

SO, here we are!
It's been now 2 years I think since the latest version of the P44 (black) is on the market, so, does people owning it could give me its feedback about the finish?

I thank you very much for your answers.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Are you going to shoot it or gaze lovingly upon it?

Even if the finish is crap, you can always repaint it. (I've done a couple.)
jipe

Post by jipe »

I have seen and used the P44 Schwarz and the finish is definitely different than the blue finish.

Now is it stronger ? Difficult to say since the black version is not two years old but less than one year on the market, some importers still sell the blue version.

The silver cylinder are the same as on the blue P44 and the finish is indeed more fragile than the one of Steyr cylinders for instance.

For the barrel, it is naked, no aluminum or carbon cover like on the LP10, LP400... so it is also more fragile. Like any naked steel barrel, it can rust if you put your fingers on it and don't clean it.

If you want the AP with the strongest finish that doesn't show any sign of wear even after 100000 shots, take the LP10.

That said, the P44 (blue or black) is an excellent high end pistol, very pleasant to shoot and more forgiving than the LP10, so probably better suited for a beginner than an LP10.
Rover

Post by Rover »

It's the BEST AP for small hands, too.
TB

Post by TB »

I have a black p44. I can't compare with the blue version. The finish is not bad but it is definately not as good as the LP10. On mine where you put in the pellet there are a few very small stains of de-coloring. It is not a big issue for me though, since I enjoy shooting it much more than the LP10.

Yes the barrel is exposed but there the black finish seems very good so I can't se how it should rust because you put your fingers on it??
jipe

Post by jipe »

TB wrote:I have a black p44. I can't compare with the blue version. The finish is not bad but it is definitely not as good as the LP10. On mine where you put in the pellet there are a few very small stains of de-coloring. It is not a big issue for me though, since I enjoy shooting it much more than the LP10.

Yes the barrel is exposed but there the black finish seems very good so I can't se how it should rust because you put your fingers on it??
It like most guns with a steel finish, the acidity of your finger prints may cause rust if you don't clean it. Of course it doesn't happen immediately, it takes time but an anodized aluminum like the barrel cover of the LP10 is much stronger and doesn't need any care.
scerir

Post by scerir »

It seems there is a P44 (in black) model year 2013, with minor mechanical refinements.
scerir

Post by scerir »

scerir wrote:It seems there is a P44 (in black) model year 2013, with minor mechanical refinements.
see http://www.dominoguns.com/index.php/new ... ml?sku=262
TB

Post by TB »

scerir wrote:
scerir wrote:It seems there is a P44 (in black) model year 2013, with minor mechanical refinements.
It looks exactly like mine from October 2012.
jipe

Post by jipe »

TB wrote:
scerir wrote:
As said, some importers still had the blue model in stock, may be it was also the case in Italy so that the P44 black only appeared in 2013 in Italy ?

Do you also have the new bigger trigger guard as on the picture of Dominoguns or the smaller on similar in shape to the one of the blue model ?
OOKAMI

Post by OOKAMI »

to Rover:
I'll shoot it. But I take care of my stuff and the story of the guy whose gun had scratches after 2 shooting sessions scared me. After 4 years ok. After 1 month, even 2 or 5 months I definitely consider that a fail in the production.

to jipe:
I'm used to clean my 9mm after each session for the "sweating eating the metal" thing. I never thought I'd have to do it with an air pistol. But it's not a problem.
I don't want my pistol to be pristine from unboxing day until the last. But at least a couple of years. I don't think it's an extravagant request for a pistol this price.

What I find quite incomprehensible is that a firm like FWB goes for cheap finish. It's why I look for testimonies. I'm secretly hoping that all I've read is only the reflection of few unfortunate users.

Nevertheless I think this will be my new pistol.
TB

Post by TB »

jipe wrote:
TB wrote:
scerir wrote:
As said, some importers still had the blue model in stock, may be it was also the case in Italy so that the P44 black only appeared in 2013 in Italy ?

Do you also have the new bigger trigger guard as on the picture of Dominoguns or the smaller on similar in shape to the one of the blue model ?
Yes mine has the same trigger guard as on the picture from Domino. That and the color is the only differences I have noticed compared to the blue model.
Attachments
image.jpg
OOKAMI

Post by OOKAMI »

I really like this long trigger guard. First time I see it. All pictures I've seen shows the one like the blue model. Very short.
Where did you guys bought them?
TB

Post by TB »

OOKAMI wrote:Where did you guys bought them?
Dirctly from the Danish importer. Since I wanted the short model it was not on stock so it came fresh from the FWB factory.
OOKAMI

Post by OOKAMI »

Do you mean if I buy it now to a german retailer as I was thinking to do I'll have this "new" version? All shop show the same picture of the black model with short trigger guard.

(wich means nothing as french shops still show pictures of blue model)

When did you bought it?
TB

Post by TB »

OOKAMI wrote:Do you mean if I buy it now to a german retailer as I was thinking to do I'll have this "new" version? All shop show the same picture of the black model with short trigger guard.

(wich means nothing as french shops still show pictures of blue model)

When did you bought it?
I bought mine in October 2012. I have no idea what any dealer will send you. Why don't you just contact your dealer of choice and ask them for the new model?!
jipe

Post by jipe »

Yes, you will get the long trigger guard.

A shooter from m y club bought one in March (ordered by Jaghaus Halbach to the factory for him) and he also received the long trigger guard.

He preferred the short one and contacted FWB to see if he could buy a short trigger guard as spare part and FWB answered that the short one wasn't available anymore.

So if you buy a brand new one coming from the factory, you will receive the long trigger guard (if you don't, you can surely exchange it with my friend shooter who wants a short one, contact me by PM).

There were also a couple sold on egun and all of them had the long trigger guard.

It is the pistol of this friend shooter that I tried. It is very pleasant to shoot, as said, more forgiving than my LP10, I immediately got excellent scores with it.

It has an excellent trigger and is also very stable, the absorber + barrel vents + compensator do an excellent job, as good as the one of the LP10. If you master your trigger pull, the pistol doesn't move at all at the shot release, it is dead stable.

The only thing that was a little bit uncomfortable at the beginning is that the sights are higher on the hand than on the LP10. When switching from the LP10 to the P44, it is obvious but after a couple of shots, I was used to it.
OOKAMI

Post by OOKAMI »

It's done. ^^
But I was curious to know if it was something special for US market like some specifities I've seen regarding to bigger calibers.
Weapons are not alwas the same according to the market they are intended for.
OOKAMI

Post by OOKAMI »

Thanks everybody for the informations.

I read EVERYWHERE about pistols more or less forgiving. I really don't understand this. I shoot an AP40. When all is perfectly aligned, it's a ten. When not... God knows what it is.
What is a forgiving pistol? Pistol with auto-aiming pellets? I rather prefer a non forgiving pistol as, theoretically, I would need to be very demanding with myself as for my technic.

I know about the "high rear sights". I've been looking for pictures. Lots of them. From every angle. With or without hand. I don't see it SO BADLY HIGH. In fact most of my worries goes to the non adjustable depth of the rear sight.
TB

Post by TB »

OOKAMI wrote:I read EVERYWHERE about pistols more or less forgiving. I really don't understand this. I shoot an AP40. When all is perfectly aligned, it's a ten. When not... God knows what it is.
I totally agree. It is the same with toz vs. Morini. Many people say that the toz is more forgiving than the Morini. To me this is BS. There are only pistols that suit you well and suit you less well.