Feinwerkbau 65

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JiriK

Feinwerkbau 65

Post by JiriK »

I bought an old Feinwerkbau 65 air pistol yesterday.

Haven´t shot with pellets yet, but I noticed that when the pistol fires the cocking arm latch opens.
Not sure but I think it is not supposed to open by itself.. Any ideas on what might be wrong?
Latch spring is quite stiff, but who knows.

Also, pistol came with a Morini grip. Just a bit too small for me, but somewhat usable.
Are there any sources for 65(/80) grips other than Rink? Their grips are okay but cost as much as this pistol did..

Make an offer if you have Feinwerkbau 65 parts. Replacing seals might be a good idea. Also looking for parts for fwb 300 rifle & complete old fwb 5-shot co2 airpistol.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I may be talking out of turn, as I've never had a 65 in my hands and my knowledge is not that thorough... but please look into whether or not a FWB 65 is supposed to be dry fired or not. I doubt that it is, and you could be doing a great deal of damage by firing it without a pellet to slow the impact of the piston.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Never ever dry fire a FWB65.
Rover

Post by Rover »

According to FWB, the M65 CAN be dry fired without damage (personally don't like doing it).

There were several posts on the subject a while back if you want to do a Search.
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

Ok.. I´ll test with pellets tomorrow. If latch stays closed, all is well.
conradin

Post by conradin »

You can only dry fire using a felt pellet. Otherwise the cylinder will slam straight into the chamber, and if you keep doing that enough, you will break the seal.

Once or twice before a competition is OK (without any pallets or felt pellets), but according to Beeman instruction, dry fire is a no no.

The older your seal is, the more of a possibility that you will damage the seals, pistol, and chamber.
Last edited by conradin on Thu May 02, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

Tested maybe 8 pellets today. Latch stays closed when pistol is fired with a pellet. So all is well.

Holes on target seemed quite ragged.. not as round and precise as with pcp pistols. Maybe spring or seals need replacing?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Depends on the targets you're using. If they're Kruger or Edelmann match targets they should show clean holes at 10m with a 65. If they're the thinner 'training' targets they'll tear at anything much below 500fps, and I think the 65 is somewhat below that velocity. I know the training targets tear badly with my Baikal 46m, and it's supposed to shoot about 470fps. Same pistol cuts perfect holes on match targets. You might want to borrow a chrony to test velocity before investing in a new spring.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you're using the cheap targets, just put a new one over the fired upon target and see what happens; or put a piece of masking tape on the back.

The "good" targets should show a clean hole. If not, go for a rebuild; after all, it's not a new gun.

When set up right, they are excellent pistols; far more competitive than people who have never shot one think.
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

We use Krüger targets.

Our club does not have a chrony but I know one place that has... If it is still open.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Gerard wrote:If they're the thinner 'training' targets they'll tear at anything much below 500fps, and I think the 65 is somewhat below that velocity.
FPF of the FWB65 is 525 It is higher than P30 and C55, both are CO2 pistol.
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

Got to test my pistol with chrony.
117.3 - 120.8 - 118.7 - 116.7 m/s.
Seems a bit low if speed should be 525 fps (~160m/s)

Shot few pellets thru crony with my fwb 300 rifle too.
Speed approx. 160m/s. I´ll order new seals for that, but does it need new springs too?
Rover

Post by Rover »

The only person to ever get 525fps out of a M65 was the copywriter for the Beeman airgun catalog.

Your velocity is too low, but make sure you try some light (7grain) pellets over the chronograph. That may help you some. If you were using light pellets, the gun needs a rebuild (two new springs).
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

I used "Geco" pellets.
There´s no mention of weight on the tin but my scale says they are 0.47g and that translates to 7.25gr
BenHHH

Post by BenHHH »

If your Fein 65 has been used extensively, you have probably to change the piston ring in steel. This part allows to assure the waterproofness of the cylinder.
conradin

Post by conradin »

BenHHH wrote:"the piston ring in steel. This part allows to assure the water proofness of the cylinder".
This is not a joke right? I own a FWB65 but I never thought about dumping the pistol inside a bathtub. Or what you mean is really dealing with humidity?

??
David M

Post by David M »

To keep a FWB65 in top condition, if it is used a couple of times a week, you need to replace seals and buffers every 12-18 months. Replace the springs every 2-3 yrs (if old single spring, upgrade to the double spring) and the piston ring every 5 yrs. This will maintain your velocity.
Also do not dry fire a FWB65 it will destroy the buffers and springs quick time. Use felt pellets or a carpet pad against the muzzle to discharge a empty 65.
This will keep it in good condition, most 65's I see nowdays have not had new parts for 10-15 yrs and are very sad. Best thing for most of them is to scrap it and buy a new pistol.
spektr

tearing cheep targets.

Post by spektr »

I need to hang my targets off of something 0n the carriers at my range. I use inexpensive manila file folders and tape my targets to them. the cheap targets cut cleanly with my 777.
bummer7

Post by bummer7 »

conradin wrote:
BenHHH wrote:"the piston ring in steel. This part allows to assure the water proofness of the cylinder".
This is not a joke right? I own a FWB65 but I never thought about dumping the pistol inside a bathtub. Or what you mean is really dealing with humidity?

??
Vincent,
I wonder if others are referring to moisture in the air that gets pumped in when the pistol is cocked? It seems logical considering hand pumps have a filter to remove moisture. Maybe SSPs need a way to keep moisture out of the cylinder too.
-s
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I rather doubt it. Any SSP I've heard of just sucks some moisture in at the front of the stroke. There's no filter, no way to block the moisture which is in the air. Besides this obviously the FWB 65 is not an SSP; it's a spring-piston air pistol.