Unique DES69 rear sight repair question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
PaulB

Unique DES69 rear sight repair question

Post by PaulB »

The clicks on my one of my Unique DES69's rear sights have stopped working. The screw turns freely. I don't want to try and take it apart and try and figure out why there are no clicks without knowing at least a little about how to do it properly. Can anyone give me some directions. or point me to where I might find them?
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

There is supposed to be a small spring and ball bearing under the screw, many times if the screw is backed out too far the ball bearing will just fall out. Loosen the screw over a white towel on your bench and see if the bearing or spring is in place.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

The screw is retained by a 'nut' on the right side of the sight body. This 'nut' is cylindrical and recessed, so you can't get at it. It is slotted. The end of the screw is counterbored and slotted, and the two are peened together at the slot. Dismantling usually writes off the nut. Replacement screws and nuts are made from unobtainium. *%!^$@*!

If the ball has dropped out, the head of the screw must have backed out a very long way. The only way this can happen is if the screw has broken or parted company from its nut. In this case, it should be pretty obvious. If this isn't the case, and you don't have appreciable backlash, and can see the end of the screw and the nut turning as you turn the head of the windage screw, the ball should still be there. I'd suggest de-crudding with Kroil, WD40, whatever.