prone position & rear sights

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RonBott

prone position & rear sights

Post by RonBott »

I've been coaxed into a coaching role due to the normal coach having to take a personal leave. I have a youth who is in his second year of shooting, did quite well last season but is really struggling this year. His position looks good, I'm almost certain his struggles have to do with his sights. I'm wondering if anyone could provide some direction - drills, tests, setup etc. - as to how to ensure the rear sights is positioned correctly.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

What makes you think it's the rearsight? Has anything else changed since he was performing well previously?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Ron,

eye releif can vary quite a bit from shooter to shooter, so it can be difficult to set. Have you thought of removing the rearsight, and then having the shooter sling up and shoulder it. This will give you an idea of whether their head was in a natural position - it's quite easy for a new shooter to scrunch up their neck to fit around the rearsight. Then you can slide the rearsight back onto the rifle; start with it about 1.5in away, and adjust to suit.

That's about it for positioning the rearsight, unless you want to add raiser/offset blocks. Does the sightline look too low? Beyound eyerelief, it's a question of cheekpeice position to align the eye with the rearsight.

Tim
DesertShooter

Post by DesertShooter »

Could he have started canting the rifle since last year? Or was he canting last year and not this year? If he is starting to cant the rifle, but doesn't have the butt plate set up for canting then that could be part of his problem and vice versa.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

This is just an idea.
Youth shooter is growing from year to year like we all did.
LOP will upset all different elements of stock fit and head position.

Clarence
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

As long as he looks naturally right through the Center of the rear sight when he settles down, there's nothing wrong with the sight's position. Otherwise, try moving he cheek piece up/down and left/right as needed.

Other things to look at:
  • Position stability--does the position stay the same throughout a string? Use a camera on a low tripod to take time lapse photos.
  • SCATT--how long is his trace, and does he aim at the same point consistently?
  • Recoil pattern--does the muzzle jump straight up, or sideways? OSS it settle at the same point every time after a shot?