Smallbore Rifle Help

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Foosy11

Smallbore Rifle Help

Post by Foosy11 »

I am getting my new small bore rifle tomorrow! http://www.champchoice.com/prod-__NEW__ ... -3666.aspx Where it says 690mm What does that mean and is that what I should get?
bpscCheney

Post by bpscCheney »

690mm is the length of the barrel of the rifle. It also comes in a 500mm version IIRC. The theory is that the shorter barrel has less effect on the bullet because it's in the barrel less time reducing human error. People compensate for the shortened sight picture with bloop tubes which can be as long as you want so long as the rifle weighs less than 8.5kg. Hope this helps a bit and nice rifle!
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

Just my opinion.

Get the long barrel if you are going to be shooting only prone. More lots of ammo will shoot well in the longer barrel. If you are going to be shooting position get the shorter barrel, the rifle will have a smaller wobble zone in off hand.
"Where the heck did that 8 come from?!"
Foosy11

Post by Foosy11 »

It will be a 3p rifle so 500?
Jason

Post by Jason »

Hip's Ax wrote:Get the long barrel if you are going to be shooting only prone. More lots of ammo will shoot well in the longer barrel. If you are going to be shooting position get the shorter barrel, the rifle will have a smaller wobble zone in off hand.
Lots of world class shooters use long, heavy barrels. Lots use shorter, medium weight barrels. A few shoot the really short barrels well. The only way to see which one you prefer is to try as many as you can.

The great thing about purchasing the square 54 action is that you can swap barrels yourself (so long as you have a go-no go gauge) so if the barrel you get doesn't work out trying something different is very easy.

A good compromise is the 660 mm barrel in this rifle. If you ask nicely they may swap the grip for a size large for you.

What other rifles have you used in the past and what's your level of experience?

Jason
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

My daughter has the same rifle that came with that barrel. That is a pretty long barrel and is barrel heavy. Don't mean you will not shoot it well, you very well could, just have to try it. Lilja makes drop in barrels for that action.

Standard length is 21". That is what she currently shoots. Dan also cut one for at 18". It shoots really well also. Anyone who can use a screwdriver can swap one.
Foosy11

Post by Foosy11 »

This is my first small-bore I shoot Mainly Air with my 9003 Precise.
rmarsh

Post by rmarsh »

Good luck with SB! It's a lot of fun. Expect lower scores and more frustration. It is a much different animal than air. My daughter loves it and prefers sb to air.