Air Pistol - Compressed Air Cylinder Adaptors

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jliston48

Air Pistol - Compressed Air Cylinder Adaptors

Post by jliston48 »

Background - I have a Steyr LP10 and I use a divers air cylinder with the Steyr adaptor for charging my pistol cylinders. My wife wants to change to a compressed air powered pistol (currently has a FWB Mod 2 - CO2).

Before we begin the search for a suitable replacement, do all compressed air pistols use the same adaptor as the Steyr? If not, which ones are the same as Steyr? Considering top-end models - Walther LP300 or 400, Morini 162, etc as well as the Steyr.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Unfortunately, I don't think there is ANY standardization in adapters. I help coach the MIT collegiate team, and we have Hammerlis, Morinis, Steyrs, and Benellis. I know the Hammerli, Morini & Steyr adapters are all very different, and although the Benelli looks very similar to the Morini adapter, they are different as well.

I'm afraid you will need to swap adapters unless you get another Steyr. Either that, or get a second scuba cylinder setup.
David M

Post by David M »

The pistol ends of the adaptors are all different.
The tank end comes in two lenghts, one for 200bar din fittings and a longer one for 300 bar din fittings.
You can use a 300 bar adaptor on a 200 bar tank, but the shorter 200 bar adaptor will not seal on a 300 bar tank.
jliston48

Post by jliston48 »

Thanks, Gwhite and David M for your prompt and detailed responses - not what I wanted to hear but it's what I had to know. I'm hoping Maree opts for the Steyr to save hassles.
luftskytter

Post by luftskytter »

This isn't such a big problem, since most air guns are supplied with their own adaptor. Most modern guns have 300 bar adaptors and will fit both types of cylinders. Normally you will store the adaptor with the gun in its case.

You just swap the adaptor according to which gun you are filling.
Since they use O-rings, the adaptors only need to be fingertightened, but it's usually nice to have a spanner of the right size to take them off in case they get overtightened and hard to remove.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You could get her a used LP1 or LP2 to help keep the price down from the somewhat dubious "advantage" of the LP10.

While you're looking you might find a smaller, lighter version more suitable.