10m air pistol home range

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Aryank

10m air pistol home range

Post by Aryank »

Hello,

I am looking at making 10m indoor range at my residence for air pistol.

Can you help with how to go about the same, and what are the minimum requirements for this.

Looking at a good pellet trap and scoring system. A decent set up overall for good practice sessions.

Look forward to the inputs.

Aryan
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

- firing line to target face horizontal distance 10m
- target centre height 1.4m
- bench height 0.70 to 1.00m
- rear edge of bench 10cm forward of firing line
- genersl lighting >300 lux, traget lighting >1500 lux
- scoring system: 10m air pistol outward scoring plug gauge, sheet of paper and pen
Last edited by Spencer on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
narayanan

Post by narayanan »

target centre height 1.4
Is it 1.4mm ?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

narayanan wrote:
target centre height 1.4
Is it 1.4mm ?
No, 1.4m above the floor of the firing point.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

now corrected (picky sods)

David,
how was the party?
Aryank

Post by Aryank »

Any particular pellet trap brand and make...... With best abilities to trap pellets?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Any sort of steel plate or box thicker than about 2mm should be strong enough for 10 metre use. To make it near-silent, press a few pounds of electrician's putty (available at Home Depot in the electrical section - just ask for it) inside the box or onto the plate. It'll need cleaning once in a while, or digging out the central area and pushing fresh putty into that spot, but this is a great way to stop pellets at about the depth of a pellet or a bit deeper. The putty is quite cheap.

Or of course there are commercial traps... or you could just use a heavier steel plate (1/8" or more) angled towards the floor at a 35 degree angle from vertical or so. Of course it would need to be supported at that angle. Most of the energy of the lead pellet hitting it will be absorbed into the plate and the pellets flattened, dropping straight down. Noisy though.
dubbel-v

Post by dubbel-v »

An other option for a cheap, silent pellet trapp is to fill a box with cloth and place the target to it. The box doesnt need to be big at all. Mine is the same widht as the target, 14 cm, and 10 cm deep. Works perfect!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:now corrected (picky sods)

David,
how was the party?
Well I'm still alive, even though my head might be questioning that statement :-)
drphysic

Post by drphysic »

Regarding the pellet deflection of a 45 deg plate: my experience is that the pellets deform so much on impact that they do not "reflect" straight down from the plate, but slide along its surface and impact at the bottom of the plate. I built one like this, imitating a 22 lr trap, and had all the pellets exit the trap at the bottom of the plate. I replaced it with the electrician putty type, which I would recommend....
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

Aryank wrote:Any particular pellet trap brand and make...... With best abilities to trap pellets?
I am having a similar question. I plan to shoot in the back yard instead of the house. Has anyone used the Gammo Bone Collector trap? Will it accept standard air pistol targets?

I'd prefer a trap with no cardboard on the face. Rain at an inch/hour or more is not that uncommon in the summer.

Larry
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

drphysic wrote:Regarding the pellet deflection of a 45 deg plate: my experience is that the pellets deform so much on impact that they do not "reflect" straight down from the plate, but slide along its surface and impact at the bottom of the plate. I built one like this, imitating a 22 lr trap, and had all the pellets exit the trap at the bottom of the plate. I replaced it with the electrician putty type, which I would recommend....
Yeah. Even with a more upright plate at 35 degrees my pellets bounce downward rather energetically. So I have putty about 1" thick in the base which absorbs that and they stay behind the paper.
Linecutter

Post by Linecutter »

You could always make your pellet trap to suit your own specifications.
Mine was a bit over-engineered, but will take abuse from pistols & rifles with no hint of a pellet getting close to the back plate, let alone passing through.

http://www.triffid.clara.co.uk/PelletTrap.html
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Has anyone used the Gammo Bone Collector trap? Will it accept standard air pistol targets?
I bought one of those years ago before I really understood what I was doing with the intention of using it outdoors. Those Gamo ones are well made and very good value for money but alas they don't fit standard ISSF AP cardboard targets unless you trim the sides of the target to fit. In saying that, the softness of the type of cardboard normally used means that with a steel ruler and a sharp craft knife you can actually trim a stack of cards very quickly but you are probably better off getting one designed for ISSF targets though they cost a lot more (or you can make one). After not using my Gamo trap for years, I eventually incorprated it into my home AP range. I've shoved a rag down cone which keeps the noise down and probably reduces lead dust as well. With my D.I.Y motorised target changer, the target holder moves up to rest hard-up against the Gamo pellet trap and it works very well in this format. You can see my set-up and many other excellent home range ideas in this thread here.
rmca

Post by rmca »

I got one of these:

http://www.euroshooting.eu/en/index.php ... 20,188,189

There is one for air pistol targets, n.º 188, 17x17cm.

They have a solid metal back plate that as a spring behind. The targets fit perfectly in the groves and no trimming is necessary.