Price Check on OLD Walther GSP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jabberwo

Price Check on OLD Walther GSP

Post by jabberwo »

hi,

I know a guy selling a Walther GSP with safety, so I guess that means a pre 1977 model. Is that a viable gun for Bullseye these days considering its age and since then the GSP with two stage and then the Expert models have come along?

Is it worth $900 with 2 mags?

thanks,
Jab
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

It can be, even the early ones are good.
But 900.00. Seems high for that model.
Unless it is in like new condition.
Personally I would watch this site for someone selling theirs.
I got mine on here.
I would rather pay about 1200.00 for a post 1990 model.
A new expert is about 1700.00.
I would also look for deals on a Hammerli, Pardini or Morini.
Good luck
John C

Post by John C »

The 2 stage triggers drop right in to the older frames (confirm this). You can buy new 2 stage triggers from Earl's Repair Service.

I definitely think this would be a viable bullseye gun, in both .22 and .32. Sure, the Experts are nice (I have one, in .22 and .32), but a plain Jane GSP can definitely hold up to any non recoil reduced pistol, like the S&W 41 or similar.

$900 seems a little steep. I would buy the GSP over an S&W 41. The low bore axis really helps with timed and rapid fire.

Parts and service are readily available. The trigger, like I said, is upgradeable. The only thing you're really giving up is the ability to easily swap grips, since you'd have to find one used. If the grip fits you, go for it.

However, if you're really intent on upgrading it (new trigger, retrofitting the frame to fit the new grips) then you're better off getting a new one with recoil reduction.

-John
sakurama

Post by sakurama »

I picked one up for $700 or less as a backup to my Hammerli 208 and now my Hammerli is my backup gun. Try as I might I just shoot better with the GSP - especially on timed and rapid. Wish it was a bit lighter but I plan on doing some machining to it this winter.

Gregor
J

GSP price

Post by J »

Market price on these guns can be quite variable. The NIB condition one I sold recently was in the $900 range with SN matched case etc. Others varied from $350 to $650 depending on cosmetics and number of included magazines.

The 2 stage triggers are drop in fits, but the safety will not block their action.
My price on those triggers is from 175 to 250 depending on NIB or mild use.
Howevwe all of this is a supply related thing.

The .32 magazines for the old frames are nearly non- existent in the USA. The post 1977 .32 magazines will not fit the older frames.

For most purposes, there is no advantage of the newer GSP over the old. The main difference: The first series had no side lever for hold open, which was magazine activated only. All of them accept a 10" barrels. Nill and Rink still make the grips, or the new ones can be adapted by cutting and drilling.

As you might guess, all but one of my guns is sold. The one not sold has an XL grip and heavy barrel weight, old style under the barrel.
jabberwo

Post by jabberwo »

Do all Walther GSP's, even these older ones, have the adjustable grips?

thanks,
jab
J

GSP grips

Post by J »

The older OSP GSP grips all were adjustable for the OEM grips. The other Walthers like the PP etc, generally not. Most of the fixed grips are aftermarket on the older guns.
Eaglemitch

Price check Walther GSP

Post by Eaglemitch »

I will be getting 4 Walther GSPs from Europe by May. I will be testing them for me and then possibly selling the other's. 2 are the .22/.32 Combo. Please PM me and I will put you on a list when/if they are available. They will be at a great price.

Eaglemitch,
this post really belongs in the buy sell section!