Help wanted for demented trigger finger

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gnr527

Help wanted for demented trigger finger

Post by Gnr527 »

Principal interest has been smallbore rifle but I have recently acquired an FWB Modell 2 airpistol and am now trying to improve.
By way of explanation I :-
am 74;
reasonably fit, reasonably strong;
have searched this and other forums for tutorial information;
am trying to refine my stance, hold, breathing, mental calm, NPOA;
have been shooting for a month, indoors, at a 10m target , from 6m(circa 15 score shots/day);
have been dry firing with pistol and wrist /arm exercises .
There has been some progress in that my 60 shot equivalent score seems have risen from the late 300s to the early 400’s with some shrinkage in general group size.
Pistol shooting particularly appeals because it presents physical and mental challenges not possible to the elderly with other sports.
Broadly speaking I am accepting of my current ability to show some progress in most aspects of the game with the major exception of trigger finger shake.
My hand hold has some movement but not excessive. However, as soon as I action the trigger finger this introduces serious muzzle shake. I assume a degree of shake is natural but I seem to suffer much more than other club members.
I don’t think trigger weight is a problem or too hard a hand grip.
Any advice please?
John
Rover

Post by Rover »

You demented old fart....

You're not shooting nearly enough; try 120 shots a day (two matches) to build yourself up. I personally have found 16 oz. curls particularly helpful.

After watching Steve Reiter (he's nearly your age) set about 20 new National Records in front of my eyes this year, I'm not too sympathetic.

Trigger weight can't be your problem; it is what it is.
It's that you can't commit to pulling the trigger without fear and loathing (thanks, Hunter). Sight alignment, trigger squeeze; that's it.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I suspect what is happening is that you are tightening your grip as you start your trigger pull, whicb induces a lot of wobble.

If you trigger finger is moving independently, triggering will not induce a wobble.

Grip the gun in such a way that no part of your trigger finger is touching the grip, and the only point of contact is the trigger.

Then dry fire until your trigger pull is smooth, quick and independent.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

You may be so attentive to your sight picture that you are not aware of what the muscles in your hand are doing. Dry-firing against a blank wall helps, but maybe you have to turn your attention completely away from the sights to train your hand.

I learned this way: focus on all of the muscles in your hand. Become aware of each of them independently. Note how much pressure is coming from each of them - the grip is mostly between the second finger and the web of the thumb, with the ring finger providing some pressure for stabilization. Your thumb should just be resting on grip. There is some debate about pinky pressure - conventional wisdom is not to have any and that is probably the easiest way to learn. When dry-firing (no target) increase the pressure on your trigger finger but pay attention to the rest of the fingers individually and continue to increase trigger finger pressure until you hear a click.The trick is to build muscle memory and you won't have to distract your attention from the sight.

And that's my tuppence, for what it's worth.

Roger
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think the answers you got are correct.

Taking a note from the Juniors, you may want to try shooting (dry firing) from a rest, paying careful attention to squeezing the trigger.

Trigger pull is tricky, sight alignment is easy. Putting them together, well...

Don't try anything fancy with your stance; just face about 45 degrees to the target and put your other hand in your pocket, feet about a foot apart.
Gnr527

Post by Gnr527 »

Thanks all

We'll see where this takes us

John
crankythunder

give this a try

Post by crankythunder »

when you pull the gun up, before you aquire the target, ultra point your trigger finger at the target and super stretch it out. When stretched, allow the fleshy part of your trigger aquire the edge of the trigger such that when you relax your finger, it will be slightly tensioned against the trigger. NOTE! when trying this for the first time, use a unloaded weapon!!!!!!!!

Let me know if this helps.
Regards,
Cranky
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Do you have tremor when you write?

If you do, you might have intention tremor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intention_tremor

If not writing, just tremor when you pull trigger, all the above brother and sister's recommendation are correct.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Isabel1130 wrote:I suspect what is happening is that you are tightening your grip as you start your trigger pull, whicb induces a lot of wobble.

If you trigger finger is moving independently, triggering will not induce a wobble.

Grip the gun in such a way that no part of your trigger finger is touching the grip, and the only point of contact is the trigger.

Then dry fire until your trigger pull is smooth, quick and independent.

I'd bet anything Isabel hit it right on the head with this advice.
Gnr527

Post by Gnr527 »

I hope I'm not down for intention tremor!

A fair bit to work on here and I dont imagine any quick solutions wil be ascertainable for several weeks.

Not drawing anything from this but 30 shots this evening did shew less of a spread and a tendancy to vertical stringing using a lighter(but firmish) grip with the thumb resting lightly on the grip (as opposed to holdiing it free of the grip previously).

Again, thanks all.

John
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think your problem is with your technique, but at your age the eyes are usually a problem.

Shooting glasses will fix any astigmatism and vision problems, but you need about +.50 diopter from your distance corrections. That brings the (relaxed) focus of the eye to the front sight. The target should be blurry; the sight sharp.

The bull will wander while you're aiming. You MUST squeeze off the shot with a decent hold. Trying to "ambush" the bull as it wanders by will be a disaster.

Have fun! (from another old fart)
ronpistolero

finger shake

Post by ronpistolero »

Try this. Shoot 5 shots at a blank wall, with pellets. 10 meter distance. Observe safety. If you are able to do this without the shake, that would show that you can actually do it. Therefore, if the shaking happens as you shoot on your targets, then I would assume that you may be anticipating your shot. The kind of thing that goes in your mind like "squeeze now as the sight picture is perfect" sort of thing. Often a jerk would happen; or a shake may occur if there's resistance over the thought of a quick squeeze (hesitation). I have such a problem. I actually am also able to dry fire, or shoot at the back of the target very well. But once I see the target and my mind starts to process the sight picture then the occasional squeezing problems arise. I really have to put extra effort to execute a very good squeeze.