Shooting imagery

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Shooting imagery

Post by seamaster »

Just wonder, do many of you use imagery while shooting?

I started imagine I am spray painting the aiming area. This imagery improved my follow through tremendously. I just kept "spray painting" the area after shot went off. Scores were insanely great.

Emboldened, I started imagine I am "power washing" the aiming area with a pressure washer. Now that did wonder to my timing. Shots go off reasonably quickly, follow-through is continued by continuing power washing the area. Mind is not cluttered, heart is quite at peace. More 10's than 9's. Nice feeling.

Imagery got to be used in upper echelon of shooting. Do you have imagery that improve your hold, trigger, and follow through?
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Thanks, I 'm looking forward to try this when I get home. This sort of mind game gets used more often than one might realize. For example, a cyclist can "think" or "imagine" pedaling smaller circles when climbing a hill or fighting a headwind, raising your cadence (speed of pedal rotation) and speed. No one would know you're doing it, and of course, you're NOT pedaling a smaller circle, but imagining it DOES help you complete the action, for a while, as if it were true. You can't do it all the time, but you can do it often.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I've had some success at times with visualizing my shot going a considerable distance behind the target, say 100 metres past it. Imagining the accuracy needed to hit a small target so far away can make hitting the middle of something a mere 10 metres away seem relatively easy. But I've found it difficult to maintain this for long. Guess my mind is too busy. My best results lately have just been in pursuing the basics and squeezing the trigger when almost settled in, while blanking my thoughts regarding results as much as possible. Still a challenge to maintain, but less so for me than pretending to be doing something else.
John C

Post by John C »

Seamaster;

I need to try your suggestions. I think I understand the method of spray painting. You're trying to cover as much of the aiming area as possible while pressing the trigger? Can you elaborate?

What is "power washing" the aiming area? I guess I'm not too familiar with power washing to understand how you'd do that. Are you "power washing" the aiming area in shorter strokes than "spray painting?"

I am seriously going to try this!

Thanks,

-John
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Nothing technical, nothing hard.

I just imagine I am "continuously" spray paint, "continuous" power wash the same aim spot with water, "continuously" spit fire the same spot with flame torch.

My biggest problem is inability to get a "long enough" follow through. I can really yank the heck off the trigger during my poor follow through.

Just like Daryl Szarenski said after 2012 London, his follow through was not quite long enough. What he thought was long enough, was not quite long enough.

So I pick up on his comment, and really make my follow through long. But the problem persists, what I thought was long enough, was really not long enough.

This "continuous" spraying of paint, water, welding torch spit fire, during triggering, bang and afterward, really helped me with a smooth follow through on aim. I can now hit one ten every other shot, with a long follow through I am comfortable with.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

I like the "spray painting" analogy.
JohnLK

Post by JohnLK »

I've got the "spray" part mastered!!

Painting....not so much...
:(
JLK
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

i like "spray painting" imagering too!