Better Stapler

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

big mouse

Better Stapler

Post by big mouse »

I just broke my second cheap plastic staple gun.

Does anybody know where I can get a more durable one that will last longer than the two staplers I've gone through this year?
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Buy one made of metal.
On the serious side, even the expensive ones can give you grief.
I bought a craftsman, the type you push with your palm, when it doesn't jam it's great. Very easy to use.
I also have an older Arrow, big stapler, works well, but requires a great deal of force to use.

I would buy a good quality, and keep it lubed.
Keep away from plastic.
I do like my Sears Craftsman...
ricchap

Post by ricchap »

You can get a Stanley at Home Depot or Office Depot. Mine works great. I would stay away from plastic stapler. Metal ones are more durable.
AllAces

Post by AllAces »

Ace Hardware; inexpensive metal type; short staples. Just don't leave it out in the sun on a hot day. Did that once while shooting the long line. Now I cover it with my clipboard.
JohnLK

Stapler

Post by JohnLK »

I've been using one of these for the past two outdoor seasons:

http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Fastener-56 ... B00004T179

For stapling targets, it's the best I've ever used. Prices vary widely though. I bought mine at a local hardware store.
Also, unfortunately, some folks don't have very good luck with them. I shoot with someone that claims he threw his in the trash the first day he used it. But like they say...some folks can break an anvil.... :)
JLK
gulliver62

Arrow JT21

Post by gulliver62 »

I have an Arrow JT21 that has been in use for 20 years.
I think you can buy them for $15 to $20 these days.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

I don't believe metal is necessary. It gets hot in the sun, can rust, can flake finish (and then rust), may need lube or other maintenance, and some double as hand-strength-building machines.

Putting up target centers or targets on frames (with or without backers) is light-duty work. I've broken dozens of heavy duty staplers doing heavy-duty work over the years but for tacking paper to paper to cardboard to a wood frame (or some combination thereof), I've actually found that this

found here

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/eas ... er-153635/

works great. It's ridiculously cheap. It never jams. It takes standard staples. The handle stows in the down position so that it takes up less room in the gun box. I've lent it out dozens of times and no one else has broken it. The only caveat is that I don't press down with it; that's what breaks most staplers. I just barely touch the paper, squeeze the handle, and let the speed of the stapler drive the staple into the paper/backer/frame. Works every time. I love it.

If I used it with all the gentleness that I once used those hammer-type impact staplers for construction work, I'm sure I'd break it in 2 minutes, but this is my go-to recommendation for putting up targets.
mr alexander

Better Stapler

Post by mr alexander »

Big Mouse,

I bought an Arrow JT-21M Staple Gun from my local Ace Hardware Store

about 6 years ago and it's still giving me great service. It has many fine

attributes:

1. All metal construction, no polymer parts (Sorry, Glock).

2. 100% chrome plated- it won't rust if your hands get sweaty.

3. Integral tubular magazine- no spares needed.

4. Straight, in-line feeding (no feed ramps); provides extremely reliable
functioning.

5. D.A.O. (Double Action Only) Trigger Mechanism- no thumb or grip
safeties to contend with. Can be carried fully loaded.

6. No provision for mounting dots or iron sights- always holds its zero.

7. Outstanding accuracy- "0" MOA at contact distances.

8. Uses your choice of 1/4", 5/16", or 3/8" cartridges. The 3/8" yield
deepest penetration and maximum muzzle energy.

9. The high capacity magazine loads easily and quickly with stripper
clips.

10. No Form 4473's, Background Checks, Waiting Periods or Photo I.D.
required for purchase- strictly a "Cash and Carry" proposition.

11. It can be purchased across state lines.

12. No CCW Permit or Registration is required with it.

13. Legal to own in all 50 states, even in California, New York and
Massachusetts.

Wouldn't it be great if a lot of the above points also applied to all of our firearms?

Seriously, this could very well be the last staple gun one would ever have to buy.

Expect change back from your $20 bill.

I don't know if it's recommended or not, but I do occasionally put a few drops of gun oil into it through the available openings.
mr alexander

Better Stapler

Post by mr alexander »

BenEnglishTX,

If some staple guns can "..double as hand-strength-building machines.",

then, wouldn't this be a good thing for us Bullseye shooters?
BenEnglishTX

Re: Better Stapler

Post by BenEnglishTX »

mr alexander wrote:If some staple guns can "..double as hand-strength-building machines.",then, wouldn't this be a good thing for us Bullseye shooters?
Not *during* a match. :-)
s1120

Post by s1120 »

MAN Im using a old Arrow T somehting that I have used for over 30 years!!! It has stapled more house wrap, tar paper, kraft faced insalaton, and heavy apolstery then I can eaven count... and still works like new.
shadow

Stapler

Post by shadow »

I use a Kangaroo brand stapler - it uses staples from Staples (plain old basic staples - not the JT21 kind). It is big and sturdy.
tingliu

Post by tingliu »

You can get a Stanley at Home Depot or Office Depot. Mine works great. I would stay away from plastic stapler. Metal ones are more durable.

Post by bdutton »

As others have said, home depot or Lowes or Ace. J-21 sized staples.

I scored a red metal stapler at a yard sale for $.25 about 15 years go. Still has the price sticker on it. :-D
Yiogo

Staple Gun

Post by Yiogo »

I use an Arrow staple gun. All metal. I inherited it from my Dad. It served him well. It takes T-32 staples. Like all tools you get what you pay for. I imagine Dad paid quite a bit for it. Yiogo
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I have three metal Arrow staplers that use the JT 21 staples and the first one is at least 30 years old and none have been a problem as long as I don't get them wet and let them rust. I have one of the Arrow plastic staplers that is about 6 years old and the part that you squeeze to open and put new staples in finally won't stay closed. I just put masking tape on the back and it works fine. I normally use the plastic. I always have masking tape to cover a bullet hole in the white in case of course someone else needs one :)
pistol champ

Re: Better Stapler

Post by pistol champ »

mr alexander wrote:BenEnglishTX,

If some staple guns can "..double as hand-strength-building machines.",

then, wouldn't this be a good thing for us Bullseye shooters?
Great shooters spend a lot of time to get the trigger finger to move without any effect on the other fingers. Now you pick up a stapler and squeeze it to shoot a staple and you body quickly "relearns" to move all your fingers at the same time which is exactly what you do not want for bullseye. When using a stapler use it in your non-shooting hand.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Pistol champ;

You know that this long out dated thread has some good information and some tongue in cheek comments.

Yours has to be tongue in cheek...

Seriously.

Clarence

Just saying...
D.R. badge #99
John C

Post by John C »

Clarence;

I see where you're coming from, but in reading pistol champ's comments, I actually agree with him completely. I only use my off hand to staple targets. I do this mostly to reduce as much fatigue as possible, but his point is valid, in my opinion.

-John
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

All right guys, I'll back off this one but still personally find it funny ;)
Here is my reason.
I have arthitis and have for years in various joints and take med's to keep the pain under control and I am only 49.
Been an automotive mechanic for 33 years and have one heck of a grip.
Last time at the docs office for a checkup doing the grip strength machine I can still squeeze around 100-120 psi with my firing hand.
I will conceed that the above suggestion would help others but I will keep it in mind.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99