Benelli mp95 not locking up

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

plexreticle

Benelli mp95 not locking up

Post by plexreticle »

I was looking at an mp95e at a local gun shop. I noticed the bolt would not close completely when the pistol was cocked by hand. There was a 2-3mm gap between the bolt face and the chamber after I racked it. With a snap cap loaded, the back of the case was clearly exposed. I dry fired it with a snap cap and it looked to me the bolt was riding the hammer in and would then close up.

The salesman said that’s how those pistols work and it’s basically a loaded chamber indicator since you can clearly see the case in the chamber.

I didn't even make an offer because I felt the pistol may be defective.

Are these designed to fire without the bolt being fully closed?
mr alexander

Benelli MP95 Not Locking Up

Post by mr alexander »

Sorry, but I do not have any experience with the Benelli pistols.

The 2-3 mm gap you referrred to equates to .078"-0.118". At the maximum dimension, that's almost 1/8 inch (0.125")!

To me, that is extremely excessive and is indicative of a potentially serious problem.

It is my opinion that all modern firearms need to have their bolt/slide FULLY closed before firing for safety purposes.

If you tried firing that pistol in its current condition, at the very best, it would misfire a lot as the firing pin is positioned so far away from the round's primer.

I once had a "gunsmith" replace the extractor in my High Standard Victor .22 caliber pistol. At the range, it was misfiring badly. There were real light firing pin marks on the back of the cartridge rims.

Carefully examining the pistol with a live round in the chamber, I discovered the problem. Because it was mis-shapened, the extractor was not able to snap around and engage the rim of the round as it was supposed to.

The round was fully seated in the chamber, the extractor "claw" was completely behind it and the slide was open about a 1/16"! Not good.

Perhaps the same thing is happening with this Benelli. If you are intersted in this pistol, perhaps there's a gunsmith there who could easily diagnose
and correct the problem before you buy it.

I could be wrong but I do not believe the "salesman" was correct when he told you,.." that's how these pistols work...".
Makris D. G.

Post by Makris D. G. »

Having shot several hundred rounds through an abused club owned MP95E, I never noticed such a gap.
landshark

Re: Benelli mp95 not locking up

Post by landshark »

Its probably OK.

They are designed to be dryfired with a snap cap in them and the bolt held back about 1/2 inch.

Mine came with a little red snap cap that holds the breech open.

Probably more an open bolt indicator than a loaded chamber indicator.

Of course it should close all the way on a loaded round.
bigaaron

Post by bigaaron »

I own a m95 and was having the same problem, There is a buffer in
the rear of the slide that the slide spring plunger (if thats what its called) rests on. Mine was completely gone. (reduced to crumbs) With the buffer missing, the spring pressure for the slide is reduce and does not close the slide hard enough. Hopefuly its the same problem ,real easy to replace and larry guns has them.
Aaron
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

There is no problem with the pistol, it comes with the chamber snap cap, it is supposed to have the bolt slightly back, it protects the chamber face.
Walther works the same way.
Larry's sells these dry fire rubber caps for dry firing, by the dozen.
It is not like American firearms that prevent the gun from firing if the bolt is slightly open.
The buffer is another problem, nothing to do with what you describe.
Hope this helps,
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Plexreticle, your salesman is completely, dangerously wrong, as are other posters. Bigaaron is completely correct.

The pistol is supplied with a red plastic device to fit between breech and front of slide, to hold slide back for dry firing. Snap caps are therefore not required, nor intended to be used.

It's a somewhat strange design, having the recoil spring (in its plunger / tube) bearing on the rubber recoil buffer, but it works, until the buffer deteriorates. Of course it's not designed to fire with an 'open bolt'! Luckily, buffers are cheap and replaced in a minute.

Great pistol - convince the idiot salesman that the thing's defective, win a great discount and enjoy a terrific pistol!
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Could be as simple as the extractor not seating into the slot on the barrel which would hold it off a small amount, the benelies have extractor issues a lot
FredB

open bolt

Post by FredB »

Whether it's the extractor or the buffer or something else, it absolutely should be fixed. I have had 2 MP95s; they do not fire with the bolt open at all, not do they have a "loaded chamber indicator". Once one of my MP95s did fire with the bolt open, due to a partial ammo hang-up in the chamber. It was not a pretty sight, nor one I would like to repeat.

FredB
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Plexredicle;
I am not going to continue this discussion, I feel the last posters are wrong.
I have owned 3 Bennelli 95's 2 in 32 one in 22.
They all work the same.

My suggestion would be to talk to Larry Carter at Larry's Guns.
He is the expert on the Benelli. Whenever I had a problem with mine, I sent them to Larry. Larry is a High Master and knows what he is talking about.
If you need help contacting him, contact me by PM.
plexreticle

Post by plexreticle »

Thank you everybody for the feedback.

Just an update: I offered a semi low-ball price for the pistol citing the open chamber issue and it has only one mag, no box, or accessories. It's been sitting there for over a month but he's firm on his price so I walked.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

One month, that is no incentive for him to sell at a low price, especially since he feels the gun is in good condition.
6-12 months he might come down.
Could you share the info on this store and the asking price?
tenx_ambition

Re: Benelli mp95 not locking up

Post by tenx_ambition »

..... I noticed the bolt would not close completely when the pistol was cocked by hand. There was a 2-3mm gap between the bolt face and the chamber after I racked it. ...

I think I saw this same gun in a pawn shop in the Seattle Eastside area. I dis-assembled it and the buffer was missing. You can get a buffer from Larry's guns.