Frame of mind during competitions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rmca

Frame of mind during competitions

Post by rmca »

Hi

I know that this subject is specific for every person, but lately I have been having quite a lot of trouble getting rid of the anxiety once the competition begins.
I´m fine before the match and once it's over I'm "normal" again!
I've tried sighting shoots for longer (20 mintues) to calm down. I have tried the opposite with no success. I only seem to calm down once I realize that I made a mess of the competition.

What do you do or what do you think about just before the start of a match? Or to better put it, how do you stop thinking in a match?

How do you get into "competition mode"?

I though I knew, but I've forgotten :)

Thanks
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

In my experience, anixiety itself does not cause me to shoot poorly. What it usually does to me, is to make me not confident, and too careful, which causes me to both over grip the gun, and deviate from my shot process.
You need to find a way to stress yourself in practice, or de-stress yourself in competition.
I know it sounds trite to make your practice more like matches, and your matches more like practice, but chances are, you are thinking too little about your shot process in practice, and too much about it in a match.
Start shooting a lot more matches, even if your only competition is yourself, until you are a little tired and a little bored.
shaky hands

Post by shaky hands »

Just tell yourself, "no matter how well or poorly I perform life will suck exactly as it did before the match, success or the lack of thereof is not going to (in)validate me as a person, this is no more than a stupid hobby, so have fun doing it!"
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

[quote]I know it sounds trite to make your practice more like matches, and your matches more like practice, but chances are, you are thinking too little about your shot process in practice, and too much about it in a match.
quote]
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I know it sounds trite to make your practice more like matches, and your matches more like practice, but chances are, you are thinking too little about your shot process in practice, and too much about it in a match.
Best advice I have read in some time.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Isabel1130 wrote:In my experience, anixiety itself does not cause me to shoot poorly. What it usually does to me, is to make me not confident, and too careful, which causes me to both over grip the gun, and deviate from my shot process.
That was EXACTLY what happend to me last weekend!!! But I did shoot poorly :)
Isabel1130 wrote: You need to find a way to stress yourself in practice, or de-stress yourself in competition.
Start shooting a lot more matches, even if your only competition is yourself, until you are a little tired and a little bored.
Thank you very much for that! I think that is right on the money!

And now the million dollar question:
Other than experience how do you do it?
How can you add the stress of a competition to practice or how can you reduce it in competition?
nellattocs

Post by nellattocs »

You might want to read With Winning in Mind by Lanny Basham.

Scott
Russ

Do not limit yourself with different stress related issues

Post by Russ »

Physiological stress (related to your body natural abilities) ,
physical stress (stamina, endurance, age limits etc.),
emotional stress,
stress related to chemical misbalance (food, water, vitamins, consuming air)
stress related to technical issues ( problems with your pistol, grip, ammo, equipment)

Do not limit yourself with different stress related issues ;)

P.S. I forgot to mention one more type of stress related to your technical performance. If you are not performing Air pistol over 565 points on constant basis, most likely you are facing additional stress factor related to proper execution of fundamentals.
rmca

Post by rmca »

nellattocs

I did read is book. Maybe its time for a second read...

Russ

In air pistol i´m shooting just below that... I can in practice achieve 550+ in a normal day, and I have max at 564. In competition my best was 557

I don´t want to add stress! I've got plenty of that... What i'm after is a way to relax and stop thinking in a competition. Sometimes I can do it, sometimes I can not.

I just haven't figured out how i can relax "on demand" and just shoot.

Walk me trough our process just before the start of a competition and during the first 15 to 20 shoots. What goes trough your mind and how do you get rid of it? Anyone?
Russ

Post by Russ »

First of all, limited amount of stress is a good thing.
Key word is a controlled stress.
Basically what you have to do is to reduce amount of stress with best of your abilities by educating yourself in each area mentioned earlier.

At the same time a can recommend to prioritize your search and area of concerns.
As I mentioned many times on this form: you have to reassess you performance with professionals to make yourself perform above AP 565 ASAP!

This will drastically reduce your stress level and you can gain a lot of confidence to concentrate on your shot process.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You make your own stress so the solution is within you. You are thinking about outcomes of the match and scores etc. if you just do exactly the same as training and think only of the process then the stress will go. You must though train properly - its no good training easily and without thinking, because you won't then be able to occupy your mind during the match.

Rob.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Russ wrote:Key word is a controlled stress.
RobStubbs wrote:its no good training easily and without thinking, because you won't then be able to occupy your mind during the match.
Hum... I think that maybe the main difference between my training and competition. I work much harder on a competition than in training and it's suppose to be the other way around!

Seems like I have to make my training more demanding.
Any suggestions on training exercises?
Russ

Post by Russ »

"Any suggestions on training exercises?"

Suggestions must be based on evaluation of your current practice routine, long term goal, short term goal, weak points of your performance etc.

How comfortable you are to discuss your personal goals online?
Can you assess properly your weak points of performance?
What if your self evaluation is not correct?
Are you ready to receive "recipes for successful performance" from total strangers?

Because someone have a good intention to help, it is not necessary that his experience is greater than yours. You cannot omit incorrect information, because you cannot recognize what is correct what is not. Implementation of incorrect suggestions will stop you from progress and you will become a part of average "540 AP Expert”.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

rmca wrote: Seems like I have to make my training more demanding.
Any suggestions on training exercises?
You need to partly go back to the beginning. Shooting should be seen as 60 1-shot matches. Concentrate on perfect execution of each and every shot, then move on to the next. Don't count scores, don't think of poor shots, only think of good sight alignment, and if you've trained properly the trigger release will naturally follow.

To me there is no one perfect training exercise. If you train to fully occupy your mind, visualise your shot process and a perfect outcome, then you wont have time to generate stress and anxiety.

As Russ points out though, it's very difficult to make suggestions online and without face to face contact with a shooter. You'd be well advised to seek out a decent coach to help you.

Rob.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Rob, Russ

You both make very good points on how specific training exercises should be. And I agree.

On the other hand, I know I need to work on my sights and on my confidence on the trigger. Surely there are some training (or practice) exercises that can improve those issues, like dry fire.

And that was my intention with the question.
What exercises can I (or everyone else for that matter) do to improve certain areas such as trigger, sights, stance, confidence, etc.

I'm not looking for a tailored system, or to correct my errors online, for that I need a coach.
What I'm looking for is examples on how to improve certain aspects of "The Process".
I'm looking for other things to do on the range or at home to help me shoot better.

Training or practice routines is probably best written. :)

Thanks
Russ

Post by Russ »

"What I'm looking for is examples on how to improve certain aspects of "The Process". "

"I'm looking for other things to do on the range or at home to help me shoot better. "

Besides your goal to look for certain things to improve something, you will miss the important point which is time. There is a 90% probability that you can learn certain things in the wrong way initially by doing everything without mentoring, coaching, consulting or having an experienced reference group. By doing so, you will be looking for in the near future for a more sophisticated system to overcome those problems.

If the frog is initially exposed to hot water it will jump out immediately from this pot. If the frog is placed in pot with cold water and temperature gradually rises, the frog will stay in this pot until the time when it will boil. It is important not to follow this pattern of behavior.

Delay of initial evaluation is creating potential obstacles for your real progress. I see people talking a lot about psychological aspects of this sport at the level of 540 AP. There not too much psychology at this level. In most cases, there are 3 to 4 mistakes combined together at this level of improper execution of fundamentals.
The first challenge is to identify those issues.
The second challenge is to overcome 3 to 4 initially created problems.
The third challenge is to identify and prioritize the task.

Ignorance of not initially taking professional help in a timely manner will possibly lead to a development of not only one problem of what is bothering you at this point, but multiple issues. I’m very uncomfortable to provide assistance without initial evaluation of performance. I feel that “help” will possibly mask other important issues and it will compromise my intention to help. It is above my level of expertise to provide help without initial evaluation sorry.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Russ wrote:Besides your goal to look for certain things to improve something, you will miss the important point which is time. There is a 90% probability that you can learn certain things in the wrong way initially by doing everything without mentoring, coaching, consulting or having an experienced reference group. By doing so, you will be looking for in the near future for a more sophisticated system to overcome those problems.
Good point. It´s far more important to show the correct road than to navigate the wrong one.

The problem is that coaches are a rare bread in my little corner of the world... hence my questions.

Thank you very much for your reply
Russ

Post by Russ »

If the achievement of your goal in Olympic Target shooting is important enough, you can travel. People spent more time to plan their vacations in contrast of more important things in their life. :) Abhinav Bindra, Olympic Gold Medalist, pointed in his book that he has not only one coach, but more than two, and he visited them in Europe and USA two times a year for a couple of weeks.
You have to learn from the best, not only tips, but patterns of behavior as well. If you will have trouble to find a the coach in Europe, you are welcome to come in the USA. Do your homework, check available sources and proceed with a deliberate action.
David M

Post by David M »

How can you add the stress of a competition to practice or how can you reduce it in competition?
Instead of trying to reduce your competition stress, build the stress level up a little during training.
There is a big difference between practice and training. Training adds a goal to your shooting and you need to work to achieve that goal, this will add a little stress.
Try this little shooting game, I call it "Ten's pay". Do not score in the usual way, score only the total number of ten's in a row. If you shoot a nine your score drops to zero and you start again.
To really add stress if you shoot a eight, end of session, you pack up and go home.
bingd

Olympic Pistol

Post by bingd »

I've learned from my readings that also effectively improved my shooting is to concentrate/focus on your fundamentals always; in practice or in competition.

To succeed, just focus, focus, focus in your fundamentals, your stance, trigger finger, breathing, etc., never minding your fears, excitement, competitors, the range, your score, even if you got the bulls.

Just focus on your fundamentals as if it is always your last shot in competition or in practice. Don't worry about your shots, just shoot with your fundamentals; and THAT IS IT.

As time goes by with constant practice with that "Focus" you will become one with your pistol and your score will surely improved.

Just like any sports, practice makes it perfect only to the extent of your determination, your heart to achieve it and of course your endurance...