Need the official heights for targets for NCAA Rifle

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TraLfaz

Need the official heights for targets for NCAA Rifle

Post by TraLfaz »

Our team went to a tournament over the weekend and the "one size fits all" really affected some our kids scores. What are the "official" heights for the targets in prone, offhand, and kneeling? Thanks in advance.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

You should have a copy of the NCAA rifle rule book.
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Last response was a bit pointed, I had the same concerns but not NCAA oriented. Here is the link to the NCAA technical regulations

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/pub ... s+gen+tech

6.3.9 has the general target height requirements.

I hope this is helpful.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Rule 6.3.9B states simply: "50 ft range - height must be adjustable for rifle"

Rule 6.3.9: center of target for 10 meter must be 1.4 meters

What I don't know is what one does if they have a range where the target height is not adjustable. Is the option not to shoot at all? Many years ago I remenber shooting at, I believe, either the Univ. of Kentucky or Xavier where they only had about a 3 foot high backstop so everyone had to hang their targets relatively low. Same can be said for lighting standards - if they are not up to the requirements on the day of the match do you just not shoot?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

OK ... I'll tell you how I "determined" the height as this is not specifically called out since NCAA uses ISSF/USAS type rules, BUT shoots on an NRA designed target (NRA/USA-50) when they (have)shot on paper.
Also remember that the 3-Position smallbore is normally shot at 50m with a 0.75m center of bull height.

So ... go to the NRA rules and look at how the NRA/USA-50 was designed to be shot at 50 feet:
6.8 Target Height - Suggested target heights for an indoor multi-bull target should be approximately 14" to the center of the bottom bulls in the Prone position, 26" to the center of the bottom bulls in the Sitting and Kneeling positions, and up to 55" to the center of the bottom bulls in the Standing position. Target holders that would be adjustable through this range would be best.
But, it's no hard & fast rule as far as I can tell.
These are close enough that we simply hang them at the standard heights for 3-P air.

Now, when my juniors practice smallbore, especially when getting ready for the JOs we move the standing targets down to about 38" on the bottom of the target to emulate the slight downangles at the OTC and Benning.
TraLfaz

Post by TraLfaz »

Thanks for the help from everybody (almost everybody). This will help me with the kids that want to shoot in the bigger tournaments.