matchguns mg2rf modifications?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Muffo

matchguns mg2rf modifications?

Post by Muffo »

Hi I have just purchased a matchgun rapid fire pistol as a present for my father. I have had a shot of both a matchgun and a ssp to feel how they recoil. My father currently shoots an old hammerli walther that was made before the company split. It looks similar to a 208. It has a lot of mods done to it and in comparison it seems to recoil lessand recover better than than all the current rapid fire pistols I have shot. So the question is is there any mods that can be done to a mg to help it out
RJP

Modifications

Post by RJP »

Muffo,

I have owned a MG2RF for several years now. For International shooting sports, the gun needs no extensive modifications, just a few easy to do adjustments. I did the following to my pistol:

1. Adjust the grip angle to get a natural point of aim. The sights should line up automatically wihtout any force or stress from the shooter.

2. The front end weight is either alloy or steel. I have an alloy front end and I found it a bit too light. So I stuffed a few .32 cal bullets in the lower chambers of the front end weight and made sure they do not slide or rattle around.

3. Adjust the rear sight width to get a sight picture the shooter likes.

4. Verify the total trigger weight, take up weight and sear engagement for the shooter preferences. I did not touch mine trigger adjustments. I used factory settings.

5. Clean and lubricate the moving parts.

6. Shoot 500 rounds through the gun for a good break in. Dont waste the ammo, but expect a few malfunctions before you go to your first match. I had 4 malfunctions during the first 500 rounds in my pistol and zero malfunctions for several thousand rounds after that.

Clean the pistol with a q-tip (cotton swab on a short stick) when it is obviously dirty inside the mechanism. Take the pistol apart once a year for a thorough cleaning.

Use good ammunition. Why would anyone put really cheap ammo through a prescision target pistol?

Enjoy a really unique shooting experience. Extreemly accurate amd muzzle rise like a .22 short. Have fun.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I thought the front end weight was only steel, not aluminium. Are you talking about the chunky bit that holds all the springs and sliding pieces?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

jbshooter i have installed the RF weight to my MG2. i comes in aluminum (my version) and steel. steel weights somewhere 300 gr.alu is about half.
muffo may i ask if your fathers guns is 22lr? the rf match was shot with .22short ported barrels a few years ago.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

ghostrip wrote:jbshooter i have installed the RF weight to my MG2. i comes in aluminum (my version) and steel. steel weights somewhere 300 gr.alu is about half.
muffo may i ask if your fathers guns is 22lr? the rf match was shot with .22short ported barrels a few years ago.
Yes Its 22lr It was his standard pistol, he used a highly modded s&w for rapid fire. only part that was s&w was 3/4 of the frame. I will admit I have only shot the standard pistol version of the matchgun and i found its recoil a bit worse than the walther ssp, so im hopeful that the rf is a lot better but its going to be a bit disapointing if it doesnt feel better than a 68 year old pistol
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

my mg2 was bought in standard form. it worked well. we have an ssp in our club. with rws or eley the mg standard was better than the ssp (in recoil). with sk or lapua the advantage was with ssp. after fitting the rf kit recoil seems the same for all ammunition (but eley and rws still feel a bit better) so the advantage is for mg2 (at least for me). also the mg2 with the alu rf weight is 1000gr or even less (depending the grip size) a bit too light. i added some self sticking weights to the outside of the alu rf weight to get the balance right for me.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Had a shot with it tonight. It has the steel weight not the aluminum one so that helps. I found it a lot better than the ssp I shot. for actual recoil I think its pretty similar to his old pistol but it has a lower barrel line so the front sight doesnt raise as much in comparrison to the rear sight so i think it is a lot better
RJP

MG2RF

Post by RJP »

Muffo,

I agree.

My previous pistols are a S&W 41 and a IZH 35.

The MG 2 RF recoils like the IZH 35, but has a better trigger and an adjustable grip angle.