Max legal velocity of 10m rifles for competition?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Bowman26

Max legal velocity of 10m rifles for competition?

Post by Bowman26 »

I have seen it written a few places in forums that there is no fast and hard rule regarding pellet weight/velocity limits for 10m target rifles. After looking though the ISSF rules I couldn't find anything specific either.

Is there a max limit for 10m shooting? I know most rifles depending on model, powerplant type and pellet weight run around 550 fps to 650 fps for some of the older springers. Just want to know if the ISSF has a set limit.

Thanks,

Bo
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

The ISSF has no limit specified.

Rob.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Nothing for ISSF or USA Shooting.

However, there is a 600fps limit for CMP 3-P Air ... to avoid damaging backstops.

Most 10m airgun target pellets fly better at less than 600fps I've been told.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Thanks guys I didn't think there was a set limit.

I would agree that 550 to 600 fps is probably the ideal speed for a target pellet inside at 10m. The reason I am asking is due to many of the older and some newer 10m PCP rifles having been modified to shoot Field Target at 900 fps with 10.6gr pellets.

Our silhouette club is hosting the Nationals next year for air rifle silhouette and Target Class rules from the NRA only state a non altered factory Target rifle. So I am probably going to need to break out the chronograph to make sure no one is tinkering. Outside in the wind at 45 yards a true Target rifle would be at a major disadvantage to one of these modded rifles. Although you could pretty easily tell if they were really hot and heavy by the time it takes to get to the target and the authority with which it hits.

Rifles shooting 10.6gr at 900 fps are for Open Class only yet I've heard of people trying to pass them off as a Target Class rifle recently.

Thanks again,

Bo
robf

Post by robf »

What are you going to do about the non altered factory rifles which leave the factory running 12 and 20 ft-lb?
Walther, Steyr, FWB and Anschutz have all made target rifles identical to their 10m versions which run out of the box at higher power. (they do carry different model numbers sometimes and sometimes don't carry the F stamp, but some are the same and are identical in look and number, LG110 for example)
Furthermore rifles like Daystate and Air Arms are variable by design.
Sounds more like a rule change to limit muzzle energy will be required.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Wouldn't it be easier to limit the muzzle energy to less than 12ft.lbs to limit the potential damage to target supports etc? This would mean that every rifle and pellet combination would have to be checked before being allowed to shoot. Makes a lot more work, but if you notifiy the shooters on the entry form of this requirement, then at least they are aware before the event.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Those rifles will run in the Open Class. I know a good bit about airguns and which models were built as 10m and which are the 20 ft lb variety. I have several of each and owned others.

Basically it is the spirit (intent) of the rules to only use non altered 10m Target rifles. So as I will be in charge of inspection if I can tell it has been altered for velocity I will not allow it to be used.

There is a huge difference even at 12 ft lbs versus 6 for a average 10m rifle.

Three classes of rifle I think it safe to say you can find one your rifle will fit in legally. The main intent seems to be keeping things as stock as possible. I know a shooter who had his GinB TX200 Stock DQed from use at a match since it wasn't factory issue per the rules. Even though it was shaped almost identical to the stock TX200 SR shape from the factory. I don't think this gave him any advantage but I know faster shooting rifles using heavy pellets are at an advantage. That is my only concern really.

Bo
robf

Post by robf »

The lg110 is identical externally to the 10m and full power version. The 2002 boosted also is. The 2020 is the same bar the number change. The 12 and 20 ft-lb Walther regs are externally identical and only subtly different to the 10m ones. The fwb p70 and 700 are identical externally bar the number.
Air arms mpr has a variable setting. Aa s200 is the same in 6 and 12 externally. Fwb 300s can have a spring swap taking them up to 7-8.
If you set a chrono limit you will catch all those over the limit not just the ones you think aren't.
I've got an lg300 anatomical running at 12 and I've seen a 400 which is externally identical. I'm pretty confident that with someone who is determined you won't pick up the difference. Would you like me to post a couple of images so you can pick out which runs at which power? Both are off the shelf.
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Is your proposed range Home Office approved and licensed for FAC rifles or just for air field target? This could be an influencing and deciding factor.
robf

Post by robf »

John Marchant wrote:Is your proposed range Home Office approved and licensed for FAC rifles or just for air field target? This could be an influencing and deciding factor.
I think the OP might be in the US :)