question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JaxAirPistolED

question

Post by JaxAirPistolED »

I am new to air pistol and would like to seriously dive into the sport. What vendor would you guys recommend for a Moroni 162ei or steyr lp10? Any other pistols you guys would recommend?
Rover

Post by Rover »

How about the guy who runs this forum?

Look at the top of the page.

For pistol recommendations see the Search function above. There are lots of as... er, opinions.
nellattocs

Post by nellattocs »

I recently got into it and decided to go with an older FWB CO2 match pistol rather than spending three or four times the cost on a new air pcp and tank setup. The pistol is great and it will be a long time before my skills will justify an upgrade. Just an idea for you.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Jax;

I would try and find an older LP1 that has been converted to compressed air or one to convert.

The conversion is not that much to do and you will still be $ ahead.
The cylinders cost, but they are good for a long time.

I purchased an LP1 converted from Pilk and I really like it.
The main reason is the sight and grip adjustability of the Steyr.

Shot a personal best this last Saturday at the PTO with a 556.
(wooped Rovers butt again with my fluff/bling pistol :)
Sorry Rover, had to rub it in...

Clarence
Russ

Post by Russ »

nellattocs wrote:I recently got into it and decided to go with an older FWB CO2 match pistol rather than spending three or four times the cost on a new air pcp and tank setup. The pistol is great and it will be a long time before my skills will justify an upgrade. Just an idea for you.
It is a very wise suggestion. Without any doubts, I can say that an older model of FWB CO2 was the best option available at the time, extremely accurate and forgiving.
If you are a beginner, it is not necessary to spend top dollar on the highest possible equipment. If you would like to stick with this game for a while, you have to learn a lot of things, take some classes or clinics. For the first year, the best tool in the market will not make a big difference for you at all.
Last edited by Russ on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Post by Chris »

search this site. This question comes up a lot and may not get many responses to your question since it has be asked many times.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

How about IZH 46M for a fraction of the cost. Also, though I have zero experience with CO2 pistols, I like you am in Jacksonville (St Johns) and set up a range in my garage. Based on what I've read about CO2, and the fact that the temperature in my garage can easily/often reach the upper 90's, I thought it best to avoid CO2.
Misny

Re: question

Post by Misny »

JaxAirPistolED wrote:I am new to air pistol and would like to seriously dive into the sport. What vendor would you guys recommend for a Moroni 162ei or steyr lp10? Any other pistols you guys would recommend?
I've done business with www.pilkguns.com over the years. I've always been a happy customer. If you can afford the Morini or Steyr air pistols then go it. I have the 162E short. I bought it mostly for the electronic trigger. I had shot the 162E full length version and the Steyr with the mechanical trigger before deciding on the Morini. If you get an opportunity, shoot a few different air guns before making your decision. I had a Daisy 777 and FWB model 2 before I got the Morini.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you really wanted to show a touch of class, a Pardini K58.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

toddinjax wrote:How about IZH 46M for a fraction of the cost. Also, though I have zero experience with CO2 pistols, I like you am in Jacksonville (St Johns) and set up a range in my garage. Based on what I've read about CO2, and the fact that the temperature in my garage can easily/often reach the upper 90's, I thought it best to avoid CO2.
Hi Todd and Jax, If you have access to CO2, then I'll add the CO2 pistols to your

list. You weather seems just fine for mostly year-around shooting. Barring the guys

that live in Arizona, where it is too darned hot for summertime CO2 shooting,

I know you'll be just fine. I and my son have shot our Steyr LP1-C in temperatures

up to 102 degrees and as low as 52 degrees. The LP1-C worked beautifully.

We didn't however, the sweat kept blinding me.. There is absolutely no reason to convert

the LP1-C to air(excepting AZ guys). Most shooters that tried that, switched back to CO2, because with CO2,

pellet velocity was a bit more consistant and they got a lot more shots per fill.

I also think Rover's suggestion of trying the SSP Pardini K58 is a great one.

I somtimes train with an FWB model 100 SSP match pistol; because it is very unforgiving

of hold and alignment errors! The Steyr LP1 is much easier to shoot better scores with.

Good luck with your search, you've come to the right place.

Tony
JaxAirPistolED

question

Post by JaxAirPistolED »

Hi guys thank you for all the help. I have decided to get a 46m. A friend of mine wants to get me a Steyr LP1. Do you guys consider it superior pistol? I am setting up a target for my backyard, and another for my garage. What can I do to improve?
Russ

Post by Russ »

Steyr LP1 can be better option for two reasons.
First, you do not need to look for custom grip for IZH 46M any more. (I do not see any valid options so far at the current market in the USA). You can buy nice one, but I have some doubts that it will properly fit to your hand.
Second, with Steyr LP1 is much easier to maintain grip consistency, which can be a good point.
If you interested to improve, you have to invest in education in a first hand, otherwise you will continue with a low scores for decades.
I have no intention to sugarcoat my messages, sorry.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Go with the IZH 46M if you're into agricultural implements.

Actually, I think it's a good choice for a beginner.
randy1952

Post by randy1952 »

JaxAirPistolED wrote:I am new to air pistol and would like to seriously dive into the sport. What vendor would you guys recommend for a Moroni 162ei or steyr lp10? Any other pistols you guys would recommend?
Neal Stepp at International Shooters Service is one I have dealt with over the years and he deals with Morini and other manufacturers. His number is 877-595-2090.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

JaxAirPistolED wrote:Hi guys thank you for all the help. I have decided to get a 46m. A friend of mine wants to get me a Steyr LP1. Do you guys consider it superior pistol? I am setting up a target for my backyard, and another for my garage. What can I do to improve?
Hi JaxAirPistolED, Yes, the Steyr LP1 is by far, a superior pistol to the Izzy. As

a matter of fact, all the FWB SSP pistols(10x series) are also superior to the Izzy.

I endorse Rover's suggestion of finding a Pardini K58, which is also superior.

Russ has mentioned the main reasons for choosing the LP1 over the Izzy pistol.

as far as I know, the ISSF world 10 meter match record(60 shots) is still held

by an FWB CO2 pistol. The Izh-46M would be a good economical choice as a beginner

match air pistol, if the FWB CO2 pistols were not available for less money than

a new Izh-46M. I paid less for my FWB mod 100 than a new Izzy.

I do hope that whichever pistol you choose, it serves you very well.

Tony
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

paw080 wrote:as far as I know, the ISSF world 10 meter match record(60 shots) is still held by an FWB CO2 pistol.
Afraid not.

594 by Jin in April 2009. He used an LP10.
kaban56

World Record

Post by kaban56 »

The Final world record is shot with FWB CO2:

URS 695.1 (593+102.1) PYZHIANOV, Sergei 13.10.1989 WCF Munich (FRG)
paw080

Post by paw080 »

David Levene wrote:
paw080 wrote:as far as I know, the ISSF world 10 meter match record(60 shots) is still held by an FWB CO2 pistol.
Afraid not.

594 by Jin in April 2009. He used an LP10.
Well David, I'm not afraid to say "OK". Up until Jin's record breaking in 2009,

weren't both match and final records held by the same shooter, using different

FWB CO2 pistols?

Tony
JaxAirPistolED

question

Post by JaxAirPistolED »

What pellets would you guys recommend?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Oh, get serious, for God's sake!

Do a search.