Walther LG300 Junior ???? Mach Air Rifle for my Daughter.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

travisimel

Walther LG300 Junior ???? Mach Air Rifle for my Daughter.

Post by travisimel »

I’m seeking a Air Rifle for my daughter. She is is now 10 years old an experienced .22 mach shooter.
She borrowed a Airforce Edge for 4H this year and simply loves it. She placed 4 and 5 at the State Championship in Olympic Offhand and 3 Position here in Colorado and we are planning on attending several Monthly PTO Tournaments in Colorado Springs this fall and winter.
It seems to me the best choice for weight would be the Walther LG300 Junior Mach Air Rifle. The Anschutz 8001 Junior Air Rifle shows 10.14 lbs which is a little heavy for her. I welcome any recommendations you have Ideas. Thoughts?

Her Fan Page on Facebook is http://www.facebook.com/TiaImel
Attachments
Colorado State Championship
Colorado State Championship
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I shoot a Walther and like the carbon fiber shroud. I've recently switched the steel cylinder for an aluminum one to shed weight and adjust the balance point. I have not seen a Walther Jr. with laminate stock at matches but I have seen both the FWB P70 Jr. and FWB 700 Evolution used with good results. Another option is the FWB 500.
pfiori

LG300 XT Junior

Post by pfiori »

I have one of those for my son to use. He is small, wears a Euro size 146 coat.
By taking the butt plate off it is short enough for him to use standing.
I did have to add some weight to the back end to balance it.
The junior club that we belong to has a FWB P70 junior and it weighs slightly more and can not easily be made as short as the Walther.

Hope this is helpful.
Pete
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

My son (William) who started with the NTC when he was 10 and is now 11, shoots a FWB 700 Junior (weight with sights 7.6lbs) and loves it. His jacket is a size 152 so similar in size? He tried Walther, Anschutz and FWB through the NTC before deciding on the FWB although the Walther was a very close 2nd.

You might have seen it in Pueblo, he was there as well. We'd be happy to let you feel it out at the October 20th PTO if your interested after his relay.

Look forward to seeing you this fall!

G. Shaner
travisimel

Size

Post by travisimel »

She is 52" tall and 54lbs.
Her jacket size is 140.
Her LOP is just under 11"
travisimel

Post by travisimel »

Thats right! You are from Garfield County. William is awsome!!
I wanted to get her a rifle before the match, but now i think we will just have her shoot the airforce so we can look at all the equipment.
Thanks for posting!
Travis
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

I guess I'm a little confused as to what it is your asking now? Since we've been with the NTC Junior Club I've had amble opportunity to look at a ton of different rifles for youth. IF the question is: "What is a good youth air rifle" it seems to me that you have three great options in front of you, Walther, Anschutz and FWB for long term development.

All three have positives that make them excellent youth air rifles. I think it is comparative to Dodge, Chevy and Ford and really comes down to which one suits her best as a shooter, that gives her the best confidence and ease of shooting. For William he was most comfortable with the FWB 700 Junior, then the Walther then the Anschutz. I think weight had a major deciding factor in it for him.

The question now has seemed to morph into "to fit her size" which becomes and entirely different animal. The small youth shooting air rifle that can not hold an off the shelf Walther, Anschutz or FWB seem to have modifications to the stock to adjust for the length of pull, etc. In my limited experience I've seen mostly Anschutz cut down and added to (palm rests). I'm not sure if it has to do with the stock composition, or mechanics, or stock availability.

Have you talked to the Greely, Cherry Creek or NTC junior clubs in Colorado? They are pretty approachable and might have some good insight as to what may work or what they have had success with for small shooters. The director of CMP for Colorado is also extremely helpful and insightful with youth shooters. Given your location, there are also several great NM shooting clubs, since Montezuma County is in the SW corner. I took my coaches certification class with a Level 3 from NM, great guy with a great youth shooting program. PM me and I would be more than willing to give you their contact information.

G. Shaner
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Thanks! - Nice thing about Target Talk is there is always help and great insight when you ask, and you never know who might be there to help you.
patriksartz

Post by patriksartz »

I have a Walther LG400 Anatomic for sale, weighs ~8lbs. Let me know if you are interested.

Best regards,
Patrik Sartz
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Check out the Walther AR-20 or the AR-30. both these are in junior size and weight but can be adapted with weights and adjusted in dimension as the person grows. Unlike some junior air rifles, you don't out grow these models.