illuminated scopes

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dozo10

illuminated scopes

Post by Dozo10 »

As my eyes age, I'm finding it harder to see the black Leupold target dot on the target. I mainly shoot indoor 4-P.
Is anyone out there (especially my geezer peers) using one of the illuminated dots? Leupold makes one, but I haven't found one to try. Expensive on the higher end scopes, but I'd buy one...if they work.
--dozo46
tumwater, WA
RobStubbs

Re: illuminated scopes

Post by RobStubbs »

Dozo10 wrote:As my eyes age, I'm finding it harder to see the black Leupold target dot on the target. I mainly shoot indoor 4-P.
Is anyone out there (especially my geezer peers) using one of the illuminated dots? Leupold makes one, but I haven't found one to try. Expensive on the higher end scopes, but I'd buy one...if they work.
--dozo46
tumwater, WA
My wifes scope has an illuminated dot, but to be honest we've never used it in anger, didn't like it when we tried it out. I'd personally be more inclined to investigate different types of cross hairs. I find it hard to arrange a dot on the target whilst also trying to focus on the target itself. Far easier to centre the whole target in the cross-hairs. All I can really suggest is you try and look through some different scopes and see what works for you.

Rob.
efoleyjr

Re: illuminated scopes

Post by efoleyjr »

Dozo10 wrote:As my eyes age, I'm finding it harder to see the black Leupold target dot on the target. I mainly shoot indoor 4-P.
--dozo46
tumwater, WA
I have the same problem, I am 69, and found a great scope. It is a Trijicon 5-20x md. TR23-1G. It has a dot that is green and very EZ to see all the time and even with tried eyes. The only problem is it only goes up to 20X but the rumor is they are working on a higer power scope.
Ed
Dozo10

Illuminated scopes

Post by Dozo10 »

Thanks for the good advice. I've read good reviews about the Trijicon, but hearing it from an actual user in my age group is even better. We senior shooters have a shared sense of irony: Younger guys have great eyes, but can't afford good equipment. Older ones have a similar -- but exact opposite -- challenge.
crankythunder

check the minimum focal distance for that scope

Post by crankythunder »

I could not find the minimum focal distance for that trijicon scope. This is a big issue if your shooting indoors at 50 foot.

Regards,
Cranky
efoleyjr

Re: check the minimum focal distance for that scope

Post by efoleyjr »

crankythunder wrote:I could not find the minimum focal distance for that trijicon scope. This is a big issue if your shooting indoors at 50 foot.

Regards,
Cranky
It will not focus down to 50'.
Ed
robf

Post by robf »

Plenty of illuminated ret scopes out there, depends on your budget and requirements... how does a March 8-80 grab you? :D
James Storm

Post by James Storm »

I am nearly 72 and had the same problem. I got a Leupold and talked with their factory people who installed an illuminated "+". It has been helpful. I would have preferred a dot, but that wasn't available. Leupold was very helpful and the scope has worked without any problem, ever.