Autobiography of Abhinav Bindra

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Hardy

Autobiography of Abhinav Bindra

Post by Hardy »

i came accross this and wonder if anybody has read this book.. any reviews?
http://www.amazon.com/Shot-At-History-O ... 9350291126
trinity

Re: Autobiography of Abhinav Bindra

Post by trinity »

Hardy wrote:i came accross this and wonder if anybody has read this book.. any reviews?
http://www.amazon.com/Shot-At-History-O ... 9350291126
Didn't even know about the book, so thanks for the tip, just bought it! Will let you know when I get it and finish reading it.

-trinity
Volker

Post by Volker »

I had seen it on the MEC website and wanted to put it on my list of things to get when I'm in Germany... But I decided to get it now already so I have it for my flight :) 2 more available at Amazon now :)
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

I have read it, it's a book about shooting rather than a standard "shooting book". Now I know that doesn't really come across clearly but it's the best way I can describe it. Reading it will not necessarily tell you how you can do it, but you will find out what Bindra had to go through in order for him to do it.

His trial and tribulations with domestic shooting and sports bodies will probably sound familiar to many shooters and coaches; it's the same the whole world over! We all talk about the work and effort that international shooters have to put in, but here is the unvarnished reality of it. The attention to detail is fully described, training firing points with differing flooring, creating similar backdrops to Olympic venues, hiring a hall to train in to achieve the same spatial awareness as a finals hall. He also clearly articulates that if you want success, you must be totally focused on achieving. We read this in textbooks, but to hear it from someone who has been there is quite different.

You can also reflect upon the glamour; or lack of it; on the international shooting circuit. The road is rather unattractive, the goal at the end of it is what motivates the shooter.

Buy it and read it, you will not regret it.

Rutty
Russ

Post by Russ »

"Abhinav Bindra once shot 100 out of in practice six times in a row and walked out of the range unhappy. He is a perfectionist, who once soled his shoes with rubber from Ferrari tyres because he thought it would help. He would wake up at 3 am. to practice at his range at home if an idea suddenly struck him. It is from such an incredible obsession that greatness arrives. But Abhinav Bindra's journey to become the first Indian to win an individual Olympic gold, and the first Indian to win a World Championship gold, is far more than that. It is a triumph born of a tragedy. Having driven himself to become a great shooter, he was poised to win gold at the Athens Olympics in 2004. But defeated by a freak occurrence, he changed as a shooter: from a boy who loved shooting, he became an athlete bent on redemption, becoming a scientist who would try anything, including mapping his own brain, to win in Beijing."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What makes him unhappy with a perfect 600? What makes "me" happy to score 540 AP? :)
Do I have guts to wake up 30 minute early every morning before my regular routine and do dry fire practice at home or have 30 extra minutes when every family member goes to bed?
Ask yourself, "Why am I involved in this sport in the first place?"
danten

unavailable

Post by danten »

its not in stock on amazon, where else can i get ... it sounds like a good read...
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

It's just temporarily out of stock, hopefully the will be in stock soon. I really hope in comes out in Kindle format, i hate buying dead tree books anymore.
jkuna

Post by jkuna »

Russ

Post by Russ »

Today I received a book, A Shot at History, about Abhinav Bindra's journey to his Olympic gold medal. I accidently opened to the pages with pictures and the first sentence I read was, "I am just happy with the quality of my shooting" when he was describing the job he had done to his coach in the Olympic rifle final. All success stories will have similar values. It's important to see those values and pay real attention for parts which are hidden from the first glimpse. Beyond the score, there are other senses of satisfaction of performance, not only related and described with scores. As Abhinav Bindra described his personal feelings after the performance of 600 out of 600 and not personally being satisfied, you may start to notice that the score is only the outcome of the perfect process.
djsomers

Post by djsomers »

Based on this thread, I ordered it up and just finished it. It is a good read and really describes well the mental aspects of the progression from a dream to a gold medal. I recommend it highly.

I think it really a fascinating look into the mind of a shooter and if you are really into the sport, it will give you comfort that you are not alone or totally crazy..... well at least not alone.

Bindra is an amazing person and it is a shame he is not more well known, especially here in the US where shooting is a vastly under-appreciated sport.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I hope you read the book of Olympic Champion, Abhinav Bindra, “A Shot at History”, and became aware about what it takes to become successful in the field of Olympic style target shooting in pistol or rifle; it really does not matter. What does matter is that he stated the most important parts of his development, which are investment in education, fitness and many hours of hard work, not only in modifications of his equipment and tool (rifle). He spent a lot time working with different coaches, psychologists in different parts of the world (Germany, USA, India,). This was sharpened his skills and knowledge. You might not have the same financial sources and time as he has, but you definitely have a pretty similar desire to achieve some progress down the way of your years with time and money invested in your favorite sport. It is time to become real; the rules of the game is about to change. The time of the game is getting tight, I mean really short. Education is the key!
Embrace the change! Change is the part of the progress, part of the evolution, part of the new you and your new way to perform in a more efficient and confident way.
Get ready for the New ISSF rule changes in 2013.
Kevink

Amazing

Post by Kevink »

Amazing book. A must read for an aspiring shooter. Nothing like this which gives an insight into a shooters life
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Yes. And a lot easier to read and get the idea behind it than Russ' posts.
Russ

Post by Russ »

Nothing comes easy in our life. :)
He has 215 pages to expess his thoughts and experience. I have a different approach and tools to teach. ;)
In general, he is very honest in explanation of what it takes to get to this level.
As far as I’m concerned, according to his book, he didn’t use the Internet as a source of his education either. ;)
rajesh

amazing

Post by rajesh »

a must read for a shooting enthusiast.. i wish many more were to write and share their stories...
marcsaab

great

Post by marcsaab »

Just got my copy and read it cover to cover. a must read for any aspiring athlete. great insight into the inner being of a shooter!
highly recommended
COBelties

Post by COBelties »

Just finished it, and I'm having my shooters read it too. The internal perspective was attention capturing. I can think of several shooters that I would really like to see a similar book come out about their individual trials and triumphs.
bijupaul

Post by bijupaul »

A great read for any shooter who loves the sport and wants to achieve something in it, especially in an Indian context also a demystifier on the myths and speculations surrounding Mr.Abinav Bindra.