Feinwekbau A93 Questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
shadow

Feinwekbau A93 Questions

Post by shadow »

For those of you familar with the A93 can you describe it in some detail for me? I have shot a 208S for over 10 years. Is the A93 similar to the 208S? Is the trigger shoe rearward adjustable enough for very short fingers? What is the "light" version? It it fussy or trouble free? Anything easle that you want to add will be greatly appreciated.
Isabel1130

see

Post by Isabel1130 »

Ok, I have shot both, and owned both so I will see if I can give you a general comparison.

The AW 93 is a bit more muzzle heavy than a 208s. The regular recoil buffer is what adds the weight to the end. If you were to get a "light" it would be a lighter recoil buffer (it is blue).
The AW93 is a more ammo picky gun because it has a tighter chamber than the Hammerli. The recoil buffer gives you very little perceived recoil. It takes a lot of added weight to the Hammerli to get so little perceived recoil
The trigger on the AW is way more adjustbale than the Hammerli but it is also easy to break if you screw up the adjustments. It works fine for shorter fingers. Mounting a red dot on the AW is a bit toughter than on the Hammerli.
But if you are going to shoot with irons, I think the AW has far better iron sights than the Hammerli. It also is in current production and is therefore easier to get parts for.
David M

Post by David M »

The AW93 should be a try before you buy pistol. Because the steel frame has the magazine up the grip, there is little or no room to put different grips on the frame.
If the frame fits your hand size and the finger length is OK, then you will have a good pistol, if it does not fit your hand there is little you can do to make it fit, very difficult to alter.
David N

Post by David N »

Last edited by David N on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadow

A93

Post by shadow »

Since I cannot "try before I buy" I pose this question. My 208S fits my short fingers with the trigger shoe moved almost all the way back and with the use of the CMM 1911 style grip adapter. With Morini grips on it it was not as good. Can anyone compare the trigger shoe "reach" on the A93 vs a 208S? That should help med decide if I should make a purchase decision.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

There is a CMM grip adapter available for the AW. It is much like the one they make for the Hammerli.
joel

Post by joel »

Are there any major differences between the early AW93s and the current production ones? Buffer or slide differences?

Joel
shadow

AW93

Post by shadow »

What are the cope mount options? I would love to use a red dot but have the flexibility of going back to the irons for WSP. is there anything like the Knapp mount? The mount sold by Champion;s Choice necessiates the removal of the rear site. Not sure if I want to use that Aimpoint Micro as I prefer to moiunt a dot a bit more forward than the pictures that I have seen.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Right now you can get an aimpoint mount from Brenzovich that goes into the rear sight slot on the back or you can get a rail from BME. Both require you to remove the rear sight.
There is nothing like a Knapp mount that would work because of the recoil buffer. You also can have an excellent gunsmith who is a machinist cut some grooves in the barrel that will hold scope rings. I know Roddy Toyota mounts a one inch ultradot this way. I also know a shooter who had this done to his 208.
I looked at Zin's AW at Canton and he is pretty clearly using the Brenzovich or another similar custom mount with an Aimpoint Micro. He has Ultradot extension tubes fitted on the front and rear of the scope to keep both the rain and sun glare off the Micro.