Champions Choice vs. Les Baer Wad Gun

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

TomJ

Champions Choice vs. Les Baer Wad Gun

Post by TomJ »

Good Morning,
I'm relatively new to bullseye competition (I've shot 3 2700 matches), using my S&W M41 to shoot all events. A friend told me about a Champions Choice wadcutter gun with frame scope mount that is advertised as being made by Les Baer. Are the Champions Choice guns the same quality as Les Baer's? If different, how so? What, if anything, do I need to look out for?

Also, I purchased a well-used Pachmayr pistol box. Out of curiosity, does Pachmayr recondition these boxes? Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Same gun. Champions choice is one of many retailers for Les Baer. They are generally excellent guns.
Pachmayer has been out of business for years. The biggest problem with most of these boxes, is that they will not hold a gun with a red dot mounted on it.
Orion

Post by Orion »

CC is the way to go if you can't get one second hand. However, they're website says they are out of stock. I purchased mine from CC in 2010. They're the cheapest around.
precisionpistolbox

Pachmayr Box

Post by precisionpistolbox »

Tom,

If the box is so bad you feel it's unreasonable to use, strip the covering off of it, sand it relatively smooth, then choose a stone-like finish available at any hardware store. It'll take two cans. Paint the inside black and you're ready to go.

He's right on with the Pachmayr boxes not fitting with scoped guns. If it's a 3-Gun, you can yank out the drawer holders and move them, but only enough so your guns and scope can fit. It can be a tight fit.

If it's a 4-gun, it can be a chore to lower the drawer, and not for the faint of heart.

If you need further help on the repair, give me a call.

Greg Walloch
Precision Pistol Boxes
(949) 280-7092
JohnLK

Post by JohnLK »

Greg is right.
You can pretty easily lower the gun tray in the Pachmayr boxes by removing then repositioning the wooden rails/guides along the sides of the box.
I recently lowered the rails in a 5 gun with partition. I was able to accurately cut the ply "wall" with a tool similar to this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/oscillatin ... 68861.html

I made a guide from 2" x 2", and clamped it to the partition.

If you have trouble take Greg up on his offer of advice or find a club member that does woodworking or cabinet making as a hobby. He'll
be able to easily help you out.
Good luck!!!
I too wish Pachmayr still made the wooden boxes.
JLK
TomJ

Post by TomJ »

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.
Tom