Hill Pump Problem?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Hill Pump Problem?

Post by Gwhite »

I've been using a Hill pump successfully off & on for several years. After a couple months off, I started using it again a few days ago.

If I take a break to let the pump (and myself) cool off, the pump handle now jumps up about an inch every 30 seconds or so. Especially at higher pressures, starting to pump again takes a lot of extra force for the first several strokes, on both the up & down stroke, after which it returns to normal.

It's acting like a high pressure check valve is leaking, but the exploded diagram on seal replacement on Pilkguns' web site doesn't clearly show such a device.

Has anyone else encountered this failure mode? I'm not sure how involved it is to take it apart & clean & lube it myself, or if I'm better off shipping it to Pilkguns for a rebuild.

Thanks!
Alex L

Hill pump problem

Post by Alex L »

I have 2 hand pumps like yours. I don't use them any more. I repaired mine twice. Most of the problem is when they pick up dirt in the valve system, and sometimes the O ring gets damaged, too. I replaced my hand pumps with a diving tank of pressurized air! It cost about the same price as a new hand pump, - and is much easier!!!

If your pump is 7 years old or more, - my suggestion is don't waste time (or money) on it! You probably have had good value out of it. However, if you are prepared to make the effort to repair it, just take it apart - which is reasonalby easy, - clean it, grease it, and put it back together.
If you find any part of the shaft is showing corrosion, the O rings may be damaged.

Here in Australia it costs about $250 for a new pump. Good luck with it.

Alex L.