Question for Distinguished Pistol Shot Gunsmiths....

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Old Shooter

Question for Distinguished Pistol Shot Gunsmiths....

Post by Old Shooter »

I know there are several Pistol gunsmiths that are excellent shots, and some are regular contributors to this forum....(think Greg Derr here)...I appologize to those I'm unaware of, but Greg has done excellent work for me in the past and I hold both his shooting skills and opinion in high regard...

So here's the question...

I'm sure you are all aware that the Marine Corp and the Navy have consistently stayed with the 1911 .45acp as their standard service side arm, in fact just recently the Marine Corp contracted for a much upgraded 1911 .45acp with the intend of staying the .45 course for at least 12,000 units which would probably be at least the next 10 years

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/colt-def ... -contract/

How long do you think it will take for the CMP Service Pistol rules to accept and incorporate some of the new 1911's features into their service pistol "Distinguished Pistol Shot" program?

Thanks in advance for your insights and opionions....

After rereading this...I didn't mean to exclude all those with interesting view points from responding. I would be very interested in the discussions of all those who are participating in the CMP Pistol programs. I just thought the gunsmiths might have insights based on their discussions with their customers what currently own, order or maintain 1911 service pistols...

thanks
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I will give you an educated guess.
NEVER
The new Marine Corp 1911's are for special ops units.
A service pistol has to be one issued to all troops.
There are many pistols that are used by special ops like the H&K.
It is like asking to have a Barrett rifle be allowed to be used in leg matches.
mtncwru

Post by mtncwru »

Trooperjake wrote:It is like asking to have a Barrett rifle be allowed to be used in leg matches.
I think anyone who wants to hoist a 30-pound rifle with that much recoil into a standing position should be welcome to do so. Of course it would be without a muzzle brake, too...