Montana Gold bullets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

tleddy

Montana Gold bullets

Post by tleddy »

Does anyone have experience with them?
Especially the 185 gr JHP...
GOVTMODEL

Montana Gold Bullets...

Post by GOVTMODEL »

...are fine. The jacket material is different from most, so make sure your barrel is free of jacket fouling before you shoot them.
Chris

Post by Chris »

buy some testing them using a ransom rest and see if they work for you. They did not test good in my barrel. I got better results from the 185gr SWHP from Zero. 1.8" at 50 yds.

You have to test to figure out what works for you. I tested about 40 different loads. 5 powders, 3 or 4 different bullets and for each one I think I had 3 different loads. It has been a while.

example:
bullet A Powder A 3.8gr (load 5 rnds)
bullet A Powder A 4.0gr (load 5 rnds)
bullet A Powder A 4.2gr (load 5 rnds)

bullet A Powder B 3.8gr (load 5 rnds)
bullet A Powder B 4.0gr (load 5 rnds)
bullet A Powder B 4.2gr (load 5 rnds)

If Powder A and B are similar enough you can use the same load but for others you need to adjust it up or down so your slide will function and it may take some experimenting to find the correct load to get a good group. There was one powder i should have loaded hotter and one I should have loaded lighter. Since I found 3 loads around 1.8" I decided I got what I needed and would use those loads for matches on the long line.