New Target shooter

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

atxguy

New Target shooter

Post by atxguy »

I am looking at getting started in ISSF Olympic style air rifle. I have been a shooter for most of my life, but never in this style of competition. My experience with air rifles is REALLY limited too. What should I be looking for in equipment (hopefully not too terribly expensive) and where should I go for coaching. I am a competitive person by nature and think this would be a good way to participate in friendly competition.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Competition at the club level is not terribly demanding, but there are always one or two "hotshots" to keep you honest.

If you're into it for fun, I would not be looking at top-o'-the-line guns. You'll find something suitable in the Classifieds here. A "Search" will give you an idea on how to get off cheap. The old guns are exactly as accurate as the new ones, but perhaps not quite so adjustable.

Have fun!
atxguy

Post by atxguy »

So is there any suggestions for a good gun I can "grow with"? I know a top of the line new gun would just be a waste since I really don't know what I am looking for, bur I would like something that would be able to help and not hinder me. Also, I shoot rifle left handed- are most of the rifles reversible?
Rover

Post by Rover »

That's why I told you to do a search. Otherwise you'll get a bunch of opinions.

With a search you can sift through them and see what fits your price range and level of interest.

If you want an excellent and cheap rifle, I would start with a Walther LGR. (Now you'll hear some other opinions.)
Misny

Post by Misny »

I picked up international air rifle a few years ago to shoot in local club matches. I found a nice used Feinwerkbau 602 for sale locally. It shoots tens every time when I do my part. The only drawback is that it is a Single Stroke Pneumatic (SSP) that I have to cock for every shot. You should be able to pick one up a used one for 700-800 bucks in very good condition. If you don't want to cock a rifle, then one that works on compressed air from a cylinder that is refilled by a scuba tank or manual pump will cost you from $1,000 on up new. A FWB 700 basic will run you $1600 new. An Anschutz 8001 Club will run a little under $1,700. Since you say that you are competitive, I wouldn't waste my time with the Crossman or Daisy air rifles. Our host has a lot of good info on his website about air guns, etc. Check them out.
atxguy

Post by atxguy »

I guess it is fair to say I thought this might ignite a bit of a debate knowing that part of this is personal preference. I am probably drawing the line at $1k but anything under that is awesome. I guess I am looking for recommendations under that price, preferably used. If a gun is set up right handed can it be reconfigured left handed or will I need a new stock? That is part of my thoughts & cost here since I shoot rifle lefty. I would prefer a scuba setup gun for ease and familiarity with my large bore but want total accuracy and am willing to go with cocking if that gets me something for the money. I guess I am looking for suggestions to check out for the price range for a really accurate gun. I can travel anywhere free, so checking fit and feel costs me very little and I can feel and see the gun before I buy it. The downside is I am not sure I have enough knowledge to know what works for me. That is why I am looking at "starter" rifles- so I can find what I like. I am planning on getting a SCATT system or something similar so I can go learn more. I hope this helps with suggestions.
?
caveman

rifle search

Post by caveman »

A good left handed commpressed air rifle for under $1,000 is going to be hard to find. You may want to think about CO2 their are some of thoughs floating around. However I will add that if you do go over on your rifle budget if you buy a good one and loose interest you will be able to sell it and get back most if not all of your money. Good Luck!
atxguy

Post by atxguy »

CO2 is fine too- any suggestions for those? Basically trying to find out the best at each price range.
Bestshooter

Post by Bestshooter »

Anyone know of a good site or where to find good used 602?
fatkins1

FWB 602

Post by fatkins1 »

Just looking at unused guns in my safe before stumbling onto this post. I have a left hand FWB 602 in excellent condition that could use a good home.
Pics on request.
Thedrifter

Post by Thedrifter »

you should call Champion shooters during Perry they had a nice looking left handed walther i think it was there Alutec model, LG300 i think, anyone else see this one?
Camper Dan1

Post by Camper Dan1 »

I too am looking at getting started in ISSF Olympic style air rifle. I have been shooting USPSA pistol and three-gun where I'm usually very accurate but very slow. So an event where my speed won't penalize me sounds like just the right ticket!

I decided to test the waters slowly (for a change) and rather than getting a high-end gun I just received my new Daisy 953 this week - first outing to zero it in in tomorrow. I'll see if I actually have any skills that transfer over and take it slow. I've given myself some loose goals at which I can jump up to the next price point.

One reason for not wanting a PCP to start is all the extra gear you have to get AFTER you have the gun (pump, SCUBA tanks, adapters and such). Heck - I've already ordered accessories and spare parts for the 953 just about equal to the purchase price. At least if my interest dies out I don't have as much to try to sell vs. a $1,000 budget.

Dang - I must be getting smarter in my old age. If I could only remember where I parked the car . . .

Dan
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I initially had a SSP and I really liked it. Certainly it is very convent and safe to shoot in the house. After 5 years I bought a Anschutz 2002 CA and I used a hand pump. I actually like that setup more than the SSP. It was pretty easy to pump after I was done shooting. I would pump for a few minutes, take a break for the orings, then a few minutes more. After another 5 years I bought an Anschutz 9003 and a SCBA tank. With a tank pressure of 4500 psi I could get about 30 fills at 300 rounds per tank. So that is a year for most guys, and the tank and hose was only 700 bucks. In my opinion, 700 bucks is cheap compared to 22 LR ammo. I then lucked into a Bauer compressor, so I have unlimited fills. So my point is that a SCBA tank is affordable, and really easy to use.
SmallBoreRifleGuide

Re: New Target shooter

Post by SmallBoreRifleGuide »

atxguy wrote:I am looking at getting started in ISSF Olympic style air rifle. ... and where should I go for coaching.
For coaching you should be able to get started at any reasonable local air rifle club - or smallbore rifle club as the skills are very transferable. Most clubs have people willing to impart their wisdom and many have qualified coaches who can help you get on your way.

Good luck with your new sport :o)

SBRG