Slow-fire Stance and Body Position

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Kel P

Slow-fire Stance and Body Position

Post by Kel P »

The ISSF Academy Fundamentals website is great! However, I find myself deviating from some key elements in stance and body position, and I was wondering how all of you position yourselves for free pistol (and air).

http://www.issf-academy.com/courses/fun ... tol.html/4

The link above shows a view from above the shooter, body position with outstretched arm causing a straight line from hand to shoulder to eye to opposite shoulder. I tried this position today (I'll describe my current stance next), and I definitely see the merits: with everything in line behind the barrel, the sights recoil slightly upward with no sideways movement, and it was much easier to repeat the follow-through from shot to shot.

However, I learned a body position 2.5 decades ago that starts with the feet and hips AND SHOULDERS pointed 45 degrees away from the firing line (instead of 90 degrees per the ISSF site - they do imply on the previous page that feet vary, but it looks like shoulders are definitely recommended by this tutorial to be in line with the barrel). Now, since I'm starting over completely after 25 years, I do have the luxury of trying new things... but I am finding that even after all that time off, old habits die hard. The 90 degree position is great for a shot or two, but it uses different muscles than the 45 stance, and my shoulder tires quickly.

So my question is, will the 45 degree stance (and corresponding shoulders at 45 degrees) limit my abilities? I don't aspire for Olympic Gold (well... a guy can dream), but I do want to take free pistol as far as I can, within realistic time constraints. If the better shooters chime in and say "forgetaboutit, stance is really about comfort, you won't limit your competitiveness with that stance" then I'll keep what feels natural and uses my better muscles. But if you say that the straight-line 90 degree body position is the ultimate position for free pistol, then I'll have to make some changes (and hit the gym).

One note: When I view the past 3 years of ISSF Championships on YouTube, pretty much *everyone* is using that 90 degree recoil-line-through-both-shoulders stance. Does that tell me something?

Kel
Displaced shooter

Post by Displaced shooter »

I've been shooting air pistol for a long time and haven't shot in a long time too! What I've noticed is that my stance changes as we progress into the match.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Stance varies and don't forget those shooters you watch have trained for decades in many cases, and they train for many hours a day. To change your stance you need to gradually change things. As you noticed it does use different muscles and in different configurations. You may well need to warm up and stretch those muscles and tendons to get into a different position that is comfortable.

Back to the original question, I believe the answer is yes, but...

The move to an inline stance I believe uses a more stable configuration and uses less muscle effort to hold in position, eventually. I don't though believe shooting at 45 degrees will massively limit you but it may make your position slightly less stable. One thing you can try is shooting somewhere in between 45 and inline.

The other major caveat is that we are all different and such an inline stance may not be good for your neck for example. As I mentioned try changes towards that position and see what it feels like. If you get pain or strains then back off. Your shooing position has to be comfortable !

Rob.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I wouldn't take the 90 degree inline as gospel, chances arevyourbbest most stable, comfortable and relatable position will be somewhere between the 45 degree and the the 90 degree stance.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I had problems with balance with the straight-on 90 degree stance. I think I read somewhere that torquing the neck and holding it that way can interfere with some part of the balance mechanism - maybe someone here recalls the reference. In any case, I sway a lot less when I stand at about 60 degrees.

Roger