London olympics shooting events on live web tv?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MFR

London olympics shooting events on live web tv?

Post by MFR »

Will that be possible to Watch?
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

In the U.S., theoretically, yes.

NBC has a monopoly here and they've struck a bunch of "We won't poach your customers" deals with almost all the cable companies. If you already have a cable TV account, you can log on to NBCOlympics.com, click on the "Click Here and Get Ready" button, use your cable company login credentials, and view live streaming of all events.

If you don't have a cable TV account already and you're in the U.S., I don't know your options.

I'd be very interested to hear how folks in other countries are going to watch. I want to know if they must jump through as many hoops as those of us in the U.S.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

No shooting sports will be on any aired channel, so online is the only way to view.

But you MUST have a paid account that has at least CNBC and MSNBC according to their FAQ:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/help/index.html

So beg/borrow/steal someone's account info. I used my in-laws (handy being their personal IT department), set up 2 computers with the info with no issue so if you have a neighbor who has service, ask them to come over and authenticate. You won't have any access to their account, it's just a 1-time authentication (so long as you don't clear cookies).
gn303

Olypic on TV

Post by gn303 »

Living in Europe, I receive BBC 1 and 2 on the cable. The BBC website and the Olympic web site sound very promising, but will the also report on the shooting events?
Thank for some info.
cgroppi

Post by cgroppi »

Just found out that a subscription to Directv or Dish Network that includes CNBC or MSNBC works too.
ilionkid

Post by ilionkid »

Apparently, Verizon FIOS is a non-starter on their login page.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

For the 2010 Commonwealths, BBC carried the men's 25m Pistol Finals on air. I was astonished at being able to watch Pistol on British terrestrial television whilst eating my breakfast... It was on their extended coverage (press the red button and select from "Other events", not on a primary channel, but it was there nonetheless.
Haven't worked out yet if I'll be able to pick it up from the BBC website (if they do a region detect or something) or have to watch the schedules for broadcast times.
Either way, there won't be a simple stream off the Games website, it'll be through whichever national broadcaster has stumped up the currency to carry the Games in their region.
BOTL

Post by BOTL »

Where can I watch this for free? I currently don't have cable.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Brian M wrote:So beg/borrow/steal someone's account info. I ... set up 2 computers with the info with no issue ...
I, otoh, have beat my head against the wall on this one. My Charter account includes the required stations. I've used my Charter account credentials and email credentials to no avail. Both signins are verified good; I can open them in a new window and go directly to them with no problem.

At NBCOlympics.com, though, after entering the credentials the browser (both Firefox and Chrome) bounces right back to the start page. If I select a stream and click directly on the video box, I get the pop-up box to select a provider. I then click on Charter, the box goes away...then the same provider selection box reappears in an endless loop.

Over the last many hours, I've sweated and sworn but can't get this up and running. When I told Charter customer support that I was running Linux, they simply said they couldn't help me.

I'm too peeved after fighting this for too long to tackle it now..but I may have to actually pull out an old computer and build a Windows box just to see these streams. ATM, I am not a happy camper.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

It's streaming adobe flash (youtube), and auth should be a simple cookie.

I had MASSIVE issues in 2010, and as I just posted in another thread here, the servers are overwhelmed and hanging up. I'm fixing application crashes more than watching "live" feeds. Best to just wait till it's all out in the open and watch the replays, probably Monday or after when the initial load dies off.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Brian M wrote:It's streaming adobe flash (youtube), and auth should be a simple cookie.
Agreed, in theory. In practice, I've been able to confirm on various Linux-centric sites that Ubuntu (which I'm using) has something set wrong, somewhere. Even though it'll run flash, e.g. youtube, just fine, no one is able to authenticate through to their cable provider using Ubuntu.

I'm downloading Linux Mint right now and I'll either run it in a vm or boot from a live CD or USB. According to what I've read, that should work fine.

So you're in IT, both business and for your family, huh? I know the feeling; I just retired from about 20 years in IT on the user/server side. I've also managed to pick up enough networking over the years to know it's not a problem on my end.
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

I wish there was a way to post this without bumping but some people might find the information useful.

The problems I was having with streaming the Olympics in the U.S. were completely resolved via the instructions here: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/mult ... aying.html

I doubt there are too many Linux-only users of this forum but if that describes you then the info on the Adobe site should make it possible for you to view the streams.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Mako

Post by Mako »

Been great using my little $99 Apple TV device together with the new Mountain Lion OS on my Apple laptop, I'm able to stream all of the matches to my big screen, in HD. All of the matches are archived, NBC Extra, so I can watch them, saved, the next day.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Sorry, not the matches, but the Finals
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

I'm watching a replay of the Women's 25M Pistol Final via nbcolympics.com right now.

It's really great to be able to see this in near-real time.

However, the commercials are a pain. I'm seeing an average of more than one commercial every 2 minutes - 15 commercials in the first 28 minutes. Each commercial is ridiculously louder than the program it interrupts. Thank you, NBC, for turning something good into something painful.

Grrrrr.

PS - I wound up using a bootable Linux Mint DVD.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

For Canadian viewers, or those able to get a proxy working to a Canadian server, the men's and women's AP finals are watchable on ctvolympics.ca (the site search isn't too bad, but the more obvious thumbnailed links are kind of terrible to search through), as is the women's 25m sport pistol final. Not sure about the rest of the shooting, haven't had time to watch much else yet.

In a bit of good news for the next Olumpics; it was announced today that the CBC won the bidding for the 2014 and 2016 Games broadcasting and streaming. It'll be a relief to get back to their comparatively excellent coverage. CTV seems to be trying, but a lot of the video is rather weakly presented, with waits of 20 minutes while waiting for medal presentations, long stretches of watching support personnel standing around looking awkward, etc.