spotting scopes

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

dondi

spotting scopes

Post by dondi »

hi everyone i need your help to choose a spotting scope. i bought a cheap simmons at walmart ,thought thats all i needed , but its worthless. soon as i adjust beyond 20 it collapses to a pin of light. anyone suggest a good medium priced spotting scope ? fellow shooter i met at the range showed me his leupold scope, but i cant afford that . nice scope though.i shoot anywhere from 100 yards to 300.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Opticron are good value in the UK:

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/scopes_menu.htm

I use an IS60 with a 16-48 eyepiece

You might wish to look for a US supplier?

Rutty
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

ShooterfromPR

Post by ShooterfromPR »

For 50m prone shooting, I had a Celestron Ultima 80 (80mm objective lens) that did a great job. A little big, but image quality was very good for the price. It's available at www.adorama.com and other retailers, for around $175.00.
USMC0802

Post by USMC0802 »

In the US, the most common brands (under $200) that I see competition shooters using is Konus and Celestron
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I just bought a Celestron Ultima 80 and I'm very pleased with it. I only shoot at an indoor range so I have not used it beyond 25 yards, but the range is not well lit and the cheap WalMart Tasco 60 which was my starter scope did not have enough contrast for me to see .22 holes at that distance. The Celestron is amazingly bright and sharp. If you go to the various online stores that have reviews, you will find quite a few from people who use this scope for shooting so that should help with your decision. And the price can't be beat - B&H photo has it for $165 with free shipping.

Roger
DavePat

Post by DavePat »

Make sure you get one with a 45 deg. eyepiece and a rotatable mount that looks something like this only a little higher up on the quality scale for your longer shooting.

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-CHAMPIO ... -8702.aspx
Misny

Post by Misny »

USMC0802 wrote:In the US, the most common brands (under $200) that I see competition shooters using is Konus and Celestron
I have the Konus and couldn't be happier. It is more fragile than the more expensive scopes, but it is very clear. I've used mine for indoor air rifle and outdoor highpower matches. According to the owner of Champion Shooter's Supply, there is almost no difference in quality between the Celestron and Konus. BTW, I bought a cover for mine. It seems to protect the scope well.