Sweating hands

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Sweating hands

Post by toddinjax »

It's a little warm in NE Florida this week +/- 100 degrees, so my garage range was 95* and (surprisingly only) 50% humidity. I don't really mind the heat (use to do 120 mile bike rides on such days, what's 525 grams of trigger) but after every shot, my palm shelf was just dripping with sweat. Short of keeping a cotton towel on the table and wiping my pistol and hand between every shot... any pearls of wisdom or little "tricks" I need to be aware of? Thanks, todd.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Keep your other hand out of your pocket.
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Rosen powder works well.
dand

Post by dand »

Move. It was 81 here with 18% humidity. But I still shot in the basement where it was cool.

Just a thought.

Dan
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Rover, Wha?...please elaborate.
Greg, thanks, I might try that.
Dan, sorry, wife's allergic to potatoes; staying in FL.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You could try putting a fan in the room blowing slightly towards you (or your hand). A vice like grip will probably make things worse so think about grip pressure. Also if you're not doing it - release the gun completely after every shot. You can load the gun safely whilst lightly holding it and then take the grip up again properly at the start of the next shot cycle. Will at least let your hand get some air and you can wipe it if you need to.

Rob.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

I had this issue even in 70deg rooms during competition initially. Once I coated my grip in silicon carbide (done initially to provide a more secure grip, just assuming my hand would always be sweaty), I found that I never get sweaty though my palm is still very warm. I'm guessing that it aided in air circulation in a way that stippling never could.

I'm anxious to hear Rovers thoughts on keeping the non-shooting hand out of the pocket though, as that's my standard procedure.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I would have thought you guys would immediately pick up on the fact that you can't play two sports simultaneously.

I also recommend this technique if you have the occasional wild shot.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

One thing I learned 30 years ago is that, providing you have a perfectly fitting grip, a damp (but probably not sopping wet) hand can actually give you a better grip. Suction?

Ever since then, even with CF guns, I have licked my palm before taking my grip on the pistol.

Back in the days when several hundred rounds of .22 was a normal daily training session, and 800 was nothing to write home about, I used to get my lead levels checked every 6 months (with no abnormal results). Now that 50 pellets a week is more usual I don't bother with the check.
allergy

Post by allergy »

Try antiperspirant for sweaty palms.
john_almighty

Post by john_almighty »

allergy wrote:Try antiperspirant for sweaty palms.
I was about to suggest the same. unlike talcum powder, anti perspirants are non - slippery. if you want suggestion of brand, I use the Dove Men's care deodrant, it chucks out a non slippery powder whcih is the anti perspirant and it is non slippery. trick is to find a dry perspirant as they have perfumed gas and powder whcih stays on and absorbs sweat. won't help if you are in sweltering heat though, you will need to wipe hands in that case.
lastman

Post by lastman »

I've always found baby powder and a towel to be a good way of dealing with it.
Alex L

Sweating Hands

Post by Alex L »

We get it hot here in Australia, too! I have put Stiplex on the grips of my pistols, and it works well. It is made of very fine ground walnut shells, glued onto the grip. It has 2 advantages - 1) it provide a firm grip, and 2) it provides ventilation between the hand and grip.

We have tried various ways - even to using violin resin, but we found Stiplex was the best.
Using other powders to stop sweating will dry your skin, and could cause cracking. You would also lose fine trigger control.

This walnut mix is similar to what you use when cleaning your shells in a vibrator.