Trigger Pull Weight...

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Deigeh Nisht

Trigger Pull Weight...

Post by Deigeh Nisht »

Question for Bullseye Shooters:

In the NRA Conventional Pistol Rules, section 3.1.3 (Standard Smallbore Pistol .22 caliber rim fire) the pistol must have a trigger pull of at least two (2) pounds.

The same rule book section 3.3 (Any .45 Caliber Semi-automatic Pistol or Revolver) states that .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol trigger pull must not be less than 3 ½ pounds.

Question: Do most Bullseye Shooters have trigger pull weights, of both guns, close in weight (poundage) or do you opt toward the minimum requirement of each? For example, is your .22 caliber trigger pull weight 3 ½ pounds to match that of your .45 semi-auto? To me (whatever that is worth) it would be beneficial to have both guns of similar trigger pull behavior.

Thank you for any feedback.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I've found that having my .22 trigger weighing 3.5 pounds helps my .45 shooting. It does lower my scores and the progress in my .22 scores is much slower. I think if I reduced my .22 trigger weight, my .22 scores would be much higher, but my 45 scores might go down.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Most but not all, run 2lb on the 22, 3.5 on 45 and if they shoot something other than there 45 for CF 2.5 on it.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Trigger pull weight is one of those subjective things. It can feel much lighter or heavier depending on how wide the trigger is and how much finger you put on the trigger. You will have better triggering if you develop one trigger pull and apply it to all of your guns regardless of actual trigger weight. Heavier triggers expose poor triggering, which a 2 pound trigger on a rimfire gun will often cover up.
If you are shooting much better with a light trigger than a heavier one, chances are, that you have not learned an agressive enough, and smooth enough triggering technique for a heavier triggered gun. I have seen many people with poor triggering get up to high expert, but it is my belief that this single issue seperates those people who make master from those who never will.
ciscovt

Trigger Pull Weight...

Post by ciscovt »

My .22 (Marvel on 1911 frame) I run at 3.5lb The WadGun at 3.5-3.7lb. The BallGun at 4.25lb .22 and .38 Revolver at 2.75lb.
For me, having the Marvel trigger at 3.5 both helps my .45 shooting but I think helps my .22 shooting. Again, just me, when using the lighter trigger I found I was hesitant to get pressure on the trigger early and make it continuous, for fear of the shot breaking early. Using 3.5lbs gives me the confidence to start my trigger pull early (like it should be) and continue to raise the pressure until it breaks.
Ed Hall told me once that sustained fire is getting on the trigger early and hoping you have reached the center by the time it goes off. When I shoot that way, they go in the center. If I don't start the pull early enough I tend to snatch at it.

Scott
Isabel1130

Re: Trigger Pull Weight...

Post by Isabel1130 »

ciscovt wrote:My .22 (Marvel on 1911 frame) I run at 3.5lb The WadGun at 3.5-3.7lb. The BallGun at 4.25lb .22 and .38 Revolver at 2.75lb.
For me, having the Marvel trigger at 3.5 both helps my .45 shooting but I think helps my .22 shooting. Again, just me, when using the lighter trigger I found I was hesitant to get pressure on the trigger early and make it continuous, for fear of the shot breaking early. Using 3.5lbs gives me the confidence to start my trigger pull early (like it should be) and continue to raise the pressure until it breaks.
Ed Hall told me once that sustained fire is getting on the trigger early and hoping you have reached the center by the time it goes off. When I shoot that way, they go in the center. If I don't start the pull early enough I tend to snatch at it.

Scott
i have fought the same battle as I developed a serious hesitation on my 22 triggers. i decided to bump my 22 trigger up to 2 and 3/4 pounds as it is enough pull to help overcome the hesitation and yet light enough to be less of a struggle. I have to remember to stay agressive on both guns, and generally get better results if I get my trigger finger moving through lots of dry firing before the match.