Oil or grease suggestions..

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Historian1972

Oil or grease suggestions..

Post by Historian1972 »

Wondering what people use for oil and or grease. Any good suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Never use grease- it holds dirt and unburnt powder in supspension. Use a very light weight oil if you can.
gusso

Post by gusso »

I'm still somewhat of a newb, but I disagree here. I've been using moly slide for sear and slide rails...excellent stuff. BTW, Gungrease is very god as well.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I use Break Free for the most part. I bought Gun Butter and Gun Butter Trigger and Locking Lug Grease because I had read a lot of good things about them, but I can't say that they are noticeably better given the way I shoot. BTW, the Gun Butter grease is very fluid - more of a medium oil consistency than grease. I would be very wary of using a heavier grease both for the reason Greg mentioned and because it may build up in inaccessible areas.

I clean my gun after every session and then put very little Break Free on and wipe much of it off. The stuff is highly metallophilic and spreads out to a thin film, so a little bit forms a film even on surfaces that cannot be easily reached. I have not noticed any problems or undue wear, but I shoot at most a couple of hundred rounds between cleanings, so YMMV.

Roger
wjcksn

Oil or Grease

Post by wjcksn »

My 2 cents: I have a Rock River wadgun that now has over 85,000 rounds through it, and the only work that has been done to it is to have the barrel bushing replaced twice, not because of innaccuracy, but because they became loose enough to turn without a bushing wrench. The gun is still tight enough to shoot around 1-3/8" for 10 shots at 50 yards. The only lube I have ever used in this gun is Break-Free CLP.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Miltec 1 beats all of the above and doesn't separate in the gun or bottle. try it and see for yourself
bachekermooni

Post by bachekermooni »

Hmmm. Break Free CLP gummed up my Kimber 84M something aweful. I have read the military gave it up. But can not confirm. I have a bottle of Militec1 I plan on using soon on my Browning BM 22 pistol - to test. Meanwhile, I have switched to using Shooter's Choice products - ONLY. I use it on all my 28 firearms. It cleans, lubes, and protects to my satisfaction. I keep some Kroil around - just in case.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

bachekermooni wrote: Hmmm. Break Free CLP gummed up my Kimber 84M something aweful.
Really? Did it accumulate grit and stuff or did it dry out while the guns were unused for a long time? How often do you clean your guns? As I said before, I use it a lot and I want to make sure nothing goes wrong.

I checked out Militec-1 on the web and it looks interesting, especially claims that it can be used in the bore and will increase bullet velocity. However, at $18/4 oz (from Brownell's) it is a bit pricey.

Roger
bachekermooni

Post by bachekermooni »

RandomShotz wrote:
bachekermooni wrote: Hmmm. Break Free CLP gummed up my Kimber 84M something aweful.
Really? Did it accumulate grit and stuff or did it dry out while the guns were unused for a long time? How often do you clean your guns? As I said before, I use it a lot and I want to make sure nothing goes wrong.

I checked out Militec-1 on the web and it looks interesting, especially claims that it can be used in the bore and will increase bullet velocity. However, at $18/4 oz (from Brownell's) it is a bit pricey.

Roger
Do not get me wrong. I think CLP is a great rust preventative and lubricant - if used regularly. But, it can not sit still on a stored firearm - IMHO. My 84M gets used once every two years for deear hunting. And CLP dried up something aweful.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I use a moly grease on the rails of polymer fraed guns such as the Glock or S&W M&P. For 1911's or S&W 52's all I have ever used is oil. CVurently I have a bottle of Miltec but any good oil will do. I run my 1911's wet.
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I guess I am a throughback. I use the old military LSA lube. Never had a problem. I'd be careful about any moly grease or lube. Moly is hydroscopic and absorbs water. It will rust parts quickly in a humid climate. Boots Obermeyer shoots moly bullets in highpower and Palma. He always runs an oil patch down the barrel right after a match to prevent rusting. My moly coated bullets lose that mettalic sheen after a few months and look cruddy. I believe that is the water being absorbed into the Moly that causes the cruddy look. FYI
Chris
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

This is a link to a pretty good presentation on lubricants for guns:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Roger
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

RandomShotz wrote:This is a link to a pretty good presentation on lubricants for guns:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

Roger
good article but wonder if its not just someone pushing a product because the two best things they recommend is made by the same company, Lubriplate
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

This is the grease I use for slides and bolts
http://9150.iso-group.com/NSN/9150-00-754-0063

This is the oil I use for rotating parts
http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inv ... tning-lube

I have used the 16oz can of grease for about 11 years for rifle, shotgun and pistols(still have about 95% left, it goes a long ways).

The oil per container lasts about 2 or so years.

Just saying, YMMV.

Clarence
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

I think the key is that all of the lubes that each one of us prefers is more effective than necessary under the conditions used. To say that A is better than B may or may not be correct, but either one is more than adequate. The one obvious failure noted in this thread is that of CLP on guns that were stored for a long period of time between use which is not generally how competition guns are treated. My guess is that any appropriate, quality lube from the priciest secret formula to generic ATF will work well enough if a gun is used, cleaned and lubed regularly.

Roger
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

BINGO;

You won with the right answer.

They all work when used properly and good cleaning methods.

Clarence
GUNNER45

Lubrication

Post by GUNNER45 »

Ballistol along with Miltec gets the job done 98% of the time unless my barrel gets leaded up.
BAMO

Post by BAMO »

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic for quite a while now with good results on my slides and bolts and found it resistant to heat produced from rapid and continuous firing. It's also red in color so it's easy to tell when it gets dirty and turns black. Have tried most of the other oils and greases but haven't been as satisfied with them as I have with Mobil 1.

However, I just got some of that Blue Wonder Armadillo and am going to first test it on both my 1911 and my 1903A1 before trying it out on my M1 to see how slick and durable it is for rapid fire and everday use. This Armadillo is advertised as being a lubricant for slides and bolts, a rust preventative, and supposedly when it's used in place of oil or grease it's not supposed to accumulate powder residue or dirt. Am hoping it lives up to its claims.

BTW, Sinclair has wide variety of different lubricants in its catalog and I'm probably going to also test out some of them.
davidrichard

Post by davidrichard »

This is a great post; it was very informative. I look forward in reading more of your work. Also, I made sure to bookmark your website so I can come back later. I enjoyed every moment of reading it

grease containers
JimPGov

Post by JimPGov »

MILITEC IS WHAT I HAVE USED FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS. YES IT'S EXPENSIVE (TO SOME) BUT IT LASTS FOR A VERY LONG TIME. JIM P