CLUB GUNS

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

mld

CLUB GUNS

Post by mld »

Our club is considering replacing our existing .22's, which include for the most part Ruger Mk II's and S&W 41's.

We've been looking at several models (with a budget in mind) including Ruger Mk III's, GSG 1911's, and Walther T22's.

Does any one have any comments on the quality of the above?

Alternatives?

Thanks
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

You might want to post this in the Bullseye section, since those are primarily Bullseye-styled guns (more so than Olympic style, anyway), and I don't think the Bullseye guys check the lounge postings that much. I don't have much experience with any other than the Ruger to be able to offer any worthwhile input myself, but do wonder why you would replace Mark II's with Mark III's. There are enough aftermarket parts to replace anything that has worn out on the Mark II, and I think it's a better gun than the Mark III. Even if, for the sake of argument, the Mark II wasn't better, the Mark III is certainly no better than the II, so you'd be spending a lot of money for nothing more than shiner and brighter versions of what you already have. Just my two cents.

Thanks,
Ted
Rover

Post by Rover »

I'm with tedbell on this.

I'm still using my thirty+ year old M41 and it has only been to the factory once for a rebuild. It didn't cost much, and if you have a fairly late one it's free (including shipping). I think this is a far better/nicer gun than the Ruger, but the Rugers aren't crap either.

You cannot wear out the barrels, so a few odd parts and springs and your current guns will be better than new. My M41 is as accurate as my Free Pistol. Just yesterday I shot a 897-61X (out of a possible 900-90) over the Police L course with it.

If you're not happy with their performance, you might want to invest in better grips, testing ammo, and working on the sights, as well as trigger jobs on the Rugers. You won't be upgrading by buying new MkIII Rugers or the others you mentioned.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

I would strongly suggest you look at the Browning Buckmark, our club replaced its Ruger MK I, with MKIII and while they have held reasonablly well, they are a pain to clean in a club enviroment.

The 1911 GSG liley would not hold up in our club. Used Walther GSPs might be another option.

Brian in Ottawa

Post by Guest »

You have two of the best bullseye guns out there. You will be trading down, at more expense, in my opinion. Ship them off to be cleaned and refurbished. That ought to save you a ton of cash.
Chris
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Used Hämmerli International/208/215 and IZH-35 (= Walther KSP 200) are equally cheap and good, and almost indestructible. You can get either for about 150 Euros and often less. Here.

Alexander
Rover

Post by Rover »

If we could buy the Hammerli pistols here for twice that price I'd have half a dozen!

Post by Guest »

I'll stand in line right behind Rover for as many 208/215's as I can buy at those prices Alex. These guns still fetch a price between 1200 and 1600 USD here.
mld

CLUB GUNS

Post by mld »

An update since I posted this query:

Our club purchased a GSG .22 and a S&W Model 22A to try out.

The GSG is working fine. The frame on the 22A cracked after 500 rounds or so.

Needless to say we're still evaluating our options.

And yes, I'd love to get some 208's for that price!