Elbow pads and shooting jackets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

NetNinja

Elbow pads and shooting jackets

Post by NetNinja »

Looking for a possible solution?

Going to a prone match this Saturday and my Elbows are torn up from shootting in the prone position.

I am using the usual equipment

Shooting mat
Gheman shooting coat
Sling
Glove

This is the match (Hey that dude has the same equipment as me! It's not me by the way)
http://www.rbgc.org/SmallBore/Smallbore.html

I was wondering if I could help nurse my weak elbow with an elbow pad and wear it under my shooting jacket?

I was looking at the rules for The National Small-Bore Rifle Association.

8.8 CLOTHING
8.8.1 The use of strap-on elbow pads is permitted but not in addition to elbow padding which is affixed to the
garment. The use of any special devices, means or garments which immobilise the shooter's legs, body or arms
is prohibited.
8.8.2 All shooting clothing must be made of flexible material, including all lining, padding and reinforcements.
8.8.3 The shooting coat may have reinforcement patches of moderate size and thickness added only to the outside
surfaces on the shoulder and on both sleeves. Reinforcements of such size and thickness as to form support for
the shooter or rifle are prohibited. In no case must the elbow reinforcement be nearer to the end of the sleeve
than 100 mm (4 in). Concealed padding is prohibited.

I think I might have to grin a bear it?
I don't want to be disqualified over and elbow pad under my jacket.

Anyone?
Abi

Post by Abi »

I feel that wearing a long sleeve shirt reduces some of the carpet burn from the rough surface inside the coat. That might help some. Also, try to place your elbow on the mat, not slide it.
NetNinja

oh yeah forgot to add the long sleve shirt

Post by NetNinja »

Yeah I bought one of those lycra long sleve shirts on clearance from Sports Authority.

Better than using a t-shirt. That t-shirt never dried out and was clamy and wet the entire shoot.

On sale for $15.00 rather than the usual $30 plus dollars they go for.

I might go back and buy some more.
David Levene

Re: Elbow pads and shooting jackets

Post by David Levene »

NetNinja wrote:I was looking at the rules for The National Small-Bore Rifle Association.
Whereabouts in the world are you, your profile doesn't say.

The National Small-Bore Rifle Association is a UK organisation whose rules only apply to certain UK domestic competitions.
ModestoPete

Skinned elbows

Post by ModestoPete »

I had the same problem until I changed out the cotton sweatshirt I was wearing under my coat. I now wear a smooth lycra type under garment.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I've never had that problem no matter what I wore under my jacket. I used to wear an old sweat shirt, but switched to a sauer shooting cardigan, which has it's own padding on the elbows. As a temporary solution to get you shooting I'd stick a blister plaster over the wound and wear a long sleeve top of some description.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

Can I suggest that, first, your elbow needs complete rest and recuperation? And, second, that for the future you consider padding at the elbow, as provided by the Sauer shooting jumper/cardigan and the Anschutz or Thune Coldwinner vest? A fellow shooter in my club uses Tubi-grip or some such medical padding on the elbw as an economical alternative, available in the UK from chemists/pharmacies.I would also suggest that you might need Top Grip rather than the cheap and easily abraded substitute that even Gehmann use all over their jackets on places that wear.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Tubigrip or similar would likely be classed as additional support, by EQ officials so bear that in mind with any competitions you chose to enter.

Rob.
nimrodf

Padding under your shooting matt

Post by nimrodf »

Don't know if you folks are allowed to do it but over in the states (NRA rules) when we shoot on concrete everyone uses a double mat or hard foam pads where the elbow rests. Mine is the flooring pieces you get from the "big" box stores for putting under kids play areas. It really helps on our two day marathon shoots (160 metallic, 160 any sight).

Nim
bugman1955

elbow pads

Post by bugman1955 »

What make of shooting mat do you use? I have the Creedmoor foldup mat and have no more problems. Reminds of the 10x and the Hawkeye mats.