Vertical grouping in prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Johan_85

Vertical grouping in prone

Post by Johan_85 »

I've noticed over several training sessions that the grouping when I'm shooting from prone position is vertical. I get alot of 9,9 and 9,8 out high and low.

The horisontal grouping is much better, of course some shoots go out that way to when I do something wrong.

Some of the shoots that go high I blame on my shoulder pressure beeing to low on these shoots because the recoil have gone much higher but still come back to the bull after the recoil.

I don't see anything in the recoil on many of these high and low shoots but I still believe it has to do with recoil absorbation to do. In some way I get the feeling that my shoulder pressure is less sometimes, I don't really know why but that's another thing.

So the question I have is, do it sounds like a recoil absorbtion problem if the shoots go high and low or does such problems show themself in another way?
justadude

Post by justadude »

Look for inconsistent fore and aft position of the cheek on the cheek piece. Inconsistent eye relief will do that.

'Dude
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

Okey that's a thing that I will work on next time and see if that solves the problem.

Sometimes I see that the rifle recoils higher and of course the reward is a high shoot but many of these high and low ones looks good so maybe it's a incositency in my cheek placement.

Thank you for your answer.

It's hard beeing on your own and trying to figure out every fault by trial and error.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

Double post
Last edited by Johan_85 on Wed May 02, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justadude

Post by justadude »

If you are seeing differences in the way the rifle recoils, I mean really seeing something different as opposed to thinking you are seeing something different because you are looking for some reason for the shot to be where it is, the thing to check would be... is your sling tight enough? A slightly loose sling can cause you to lift shots out of the group.

Dude
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

Yes I see a difference in a couple of the high ones not in the low ones that I can remember. The rifle recoils higher than the rest of the shots and before I look at the monitor I know it's a high shot.

I will pay extra attention to cheek placement and if I get these high and low ones I will try to tighten the sling one notch and see if that helps.

I don't see that I'm low when checking npa but I get the feeling that shoulder pressure is lacking on some shoots. Need to work more on the inner position to feel these kind of faults before shooting a couple of 9s.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Sometimes vertical dispersion can be from breathing. Are you checking your NPA, and firing the shot, during the "natural respiratory pause"?

If not, you may be inhaling or exhaling on some shots.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

Yes I'm checking npa during my natural respiratory pause and firing the shot. Or at least I try to do it.
RossM

Prone - vertical

Post by RossM »

Possible source is inconsistent butt plate position in the shoulder. Most important you are not tempted to alter the lelevation by sliding the buttplate up and down on the shoulder. I advocate elevation changes should be done from behind the shoulder. That is, move the body. Ensure breath is comfortably emptied and the rifle reaches onto, not before or after, the target.
gstarik

Post by gstarik »

Vertical dispertion can be due to many factors.mostly from not being consistent in one or more aspects in your position:cheek piece pressure,grip hand pressure,bat plate placement.Shooting prone in a high level means doing the same every shot including all the presure points with the rifle. Another factor can be Your pulse.try to listen to your pulse and make the shot after the pulse went down on the sinus wave.it takes time and effort to learn it,but it pays at the end.
Guy.
Johan_85

Post by Johan_85 »

Yes I've noticed that prone is a very complicated position even though it's the steadiest. I've tried to see my pulse and time the shots to in between heartbeats and also when the hold is the best. I will work with this on saturday when I have a competition with 60 shots prone and 3x40. This competition will be hard because it's outside with temperatures around 0 degrees celsius.

In finals I've noticed that this is easier even though the pulse is higher. It could be the extra focus that gives better timing. Of course sometimes I shoot at the wrong moment and the pulsebeat throws the shot.