Travel outside of the US with guns

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

guidolastra

Travel outside of the US with guns

Post by guidolastra »

I am considering to travel abroad (Europe) for a competition with my air rifle and my 22 rifle. I have not been able to find what I need to do in order to not get in trouble during my flight back to the US. From what I have researched I would need to contact the CBP, but I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks.
RobinC as Guest

Post by RobinC as Guest »

Forget getting back into the US, you need to look at the requirements for the European Country you are visiting, the air rifle will be unrestricted just tell them you have it, but the .22 will require a permit valid for the country you are visiting.
We are UK firearms permit holders and with an additional European Firearms Pass (EFP) we can travel to any country in the European Union with our guns on that pass, you as as a non European will have to apply for a temporary permit in advance of your travel, the easiest way is to contact the organisers of the event you will be travelling too and ask them to assist.
Good Shooting
Robin
Mike M. (as guest)

Post by Mike M. (as guest) »

First, you need to list your firearms on CPB Form 4457. That's a form for registring anything of value. Take the form and the items to the nearest Customs office, get them to sign and stamp the form. Keep the form. More information on that at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacat ... _items.xml

Second, you will need the appropriate permits to enter the foreign country with firearms. As previously mentioned, the match organizers should be able to help you with that.

I've done this fairly frequently. It's not a big deal if you have the paperwork lined up right.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

Thanks a lot !