24X Scope at 50 FT & 100 Yd Prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

matchguy

24X Scope at 50 FT & 100 Yd Prone

Post by matchguy »

Just took a look at my Weaver T36 scope and it has focus markings down to 50 feet. They make a 24X version but don't know if it also focuses down to 50 feet.

Anyone use or have tried a 24X scope at 50 feet? Is it too much power? How well does it work at 100 yd or does it have too much wobble at either distance?

I've been using a 15X & 20X and am not sold on either yet.

Thanks
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

If the T36 will focus down to 50', so will the T24. Both are great at 100 yards.

The apparent wobble is you, not the scope. The scope just allows you to see the wobble better as you go up in power.

Let me know when you find the secret to getting the wobble out.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I use the t36. I really like it. Although at first, I thought I was going to go seasick and throw up!!
Now I think the 36 is on the lower end of power for me. I think a variable from 27 to about 50 would be great.

The key to getting your hold down is getting rid of that pesky heart. Without it, it makes things WAY easier
Matt
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

I never thought 36x would work at 50 feet. I may have to give it a try.

When I first got my Supermatch, I tried a 15X @ 50' and it seemed way too much so I got an inexpensive 6x24 thinking I'd use a lower power indoors. I actually use 20X and it seems normal. I'll have to see if my old 24X Leupold will focus down to 50' as it's alot brighter than the 6x24 and also has much finer crosshairs that don't cover up the shots.
xpshooter

Post by xpshooter »

Hi,
I have a Burris rimfire 8-32 power scope and I thought it worked well at 50 ft and 50 yards at 32 power.

Xpshooter
ehampel

Post by ehampel »

For years I thought my Unertl scope was 15 power because that is what is stamped on it. Recently I noticed, when using a spotting scope and the rifle scope, that the Unertl must have been doubled. It magnifies more that the spotting scope set at 25 power. Anyway, high power scopes are, at least for me, fantastic training aids. I always thought that my pulse gently rocked the point of aim from the top to the bottom of the x-ring, roughly just a vertical dispersion. Sorry - the heart is a four cycle engine and the point of aim (for me, and others I have talked to) traces an ellipse around the natural point of aim. The good thing is - if I can accept that, the ellipse is not much out of the outside of the x-ring. However, if I introduce tension into the position, or if I let my mind interfere with the entire process of breaking the shot, the ellipse swings wildly out into the eight ring or worse. This is good information. Fifty feet, to 100 yards, if you can accept the fact that your position may not be as solid as you thought, 36 power should be just fine.
BAtarget

Post by BAtarget »

just be careful about mirage, especially on hot and/or humids days on a large range. A 36X scope at 100 yards will look considerably different than a 24X scope at the same distance. Not only from a magnification stand point but also from clarity quality as well. You'll see a lot less mirage with a 24X scope than with a 36X scope. I've been told by many top rimfire shooters that unless you've been shooting scope for a while (I assume a couple of years), anything over 24x is too much. And I just found out that a buddy of mine went from using a 45X scope to a 32X scope for benchrest shooting (non-competitive). hope this helps
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

Well, today I did a side by side comparision of the BSA 6x24 and Weaver T36. I'd prefer the BSA with the lower power but the crosshairs are so thick they cover the shots at 100yd. The fine crosshairs of the T36 made it an easy choice to mount it and start practicing. Don't know why BSA made the crosshairs so thick when it is supposed to be fine crosshairs.

I have a 24X Leupold but it won't focus down to 50 ft and doesn't have a dot. I understand there's a 50 ft adapter for Leupold scopes but I have to wonder if it darkens the field of view or isn't as sharp.
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

The adapter does not degrade the visual quality as far as I can tell. There Are
two thread types for the adapters. One thread is for newer scopes and the other for older scopes.
Two adapters can be coupled to give 10 meters.
matchguy

Post by matchguy »

Just a follow up to this. Did some more analysis. I found my wobble was about the same with a 15x vs the 36x at 50'. The Weaver T36 crosshairs are so fine, they don't factor to anything distracting or annoying. I definetely like the dot vs crosshairs. Getting your NPA is critical when using anything over 15x but really noticeable at 36x.

I'm sold on the Weaver T36 and am done testing/removing scopes. Not saying the Weaver T36 is the best out there but it's pretty good, I already have it, it's made in Japan not China (would prefer USA) and it's as clear as anything I've looked thru.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have a leupold 24brd. This is the last model of this scope they made and it will focus to 50' and even 10m. I also had a Weaver T24 at one point. When I decided to sell one of them. Before i did I mounted both on a tripod and really compared the image in each. Really both were excellent and I could not see a real reason for choosing one over the other. I wound up keeping the leupold but the T24's and T36 scopes are sure darn near perfect.