single or two stage trigger

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

single or two stage trigger

Post by Guest »

Hi guys.Im interested please in peoples thoughts re trigger.I have just taken delivery of my new Bleiker Challenger today and it comes set with a two stage trigger.I remember a coach saying to me a few years back that it was better to have a single stage trigger then when the finger was on the trigger it was ready to go and no need to have that extra travel.
Any thoughts and feedback welcomed.
sbrmike

Post by sbrmike »

2-stage triggers are the way to go for position shooting. It allows a very light let-off while having an extra margin of safety with solid sear engagement.
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

I'd definitely go for a two stage trigger, it allows you to focus completely on where you are throughout the shot process. With a single stage it can be hard to completely assert the moment of release for the shot, but with two stage you know exactly when the shot will release. It's also great for going through the breathing process and with this you will be able to learn how to control your trigger pressure. Meaning you can apply different levels of pressure on the lead up before you take the shot. With a single, I found it hard to keep consistent pressure on the trigger with each shot.

Hope that helps mate.
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

Thanks guys.I was told by one of the Russian coaches that when finger on trigger,trigger ready to go.Not right or wrong obviously either way but I dont want to get to the stage where anticipation of it going or not going with a two stage trigger is concerned.
Many hours practicing is ahead Im thinking.

I only shoot prone
AusTarget

Post by AusTarget »

dontshootcritters wrote:.Not right or wrong obviously either way but I dont want to get to the stage where anticipation of it going or not going with a two stage trigger is concerned.
I wouldn't say there's any anticipation with a two stage trigger, you know exactly when the release of the shot is, and if you've found yourself on target it helps to release the shot 'without knowing' so to say. I find the anticipation comes from a single stage, where you aren't sure on the precise moment of release. But preference is preference at the end of the day.
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

Of course it is also a matter of preference and training. The "Ways of the rifle" tends to suggest single trigger, although after watching Maik Eckhardt, it would seem he uses a two stages trigger... At least that is my impression.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I shoot standing air rifle and have been using a single stage for the last year. I've had some good success with a single stage trigger, but I'm considering going back to a two stage. I plan on using the first stage during the lowering movement as I pause just above the target and take one last breath before the final approach. I'm hoping this will help me refine my shot process and rythm.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

As already said its really down to preference, but I think there are some advantages to using single stage.
That said I use it and coach it for air, but not for prone smallbore, I want to try it prone but I'm happy with my prone trigger tecnique so working on the if it aint broke principle I'm reluctant to change it although I will get around to a proper test some time.
With two stage and taking the first stage as you arrive on the aiming mark with a less solid position such as standing I found there could be a tendancy in some cases to inadvertantly very slightly release the first stage whilst refining the aim, then when you go to take the shot you have to retake that part of the first stage again wasting a good hold, if you don't take the first stage until the aim is refined then that is a total waste of a good hold.
With a single stage you need to practice the feel of just touching the trigger with minimal pressure (not for cold fingers!), then just take the trigger weight to release the shot. Once mastered I'm convinced its a great advantage for standing and probably for prone although I've yet to try it. For those who find difficulty getting the feel just increase the trigger weight a little, but I think most of it is a confidence thing.
Good Shooting
Robin
Jenni

Post by Jenni »

RobinC wrote: With two stage and taking the first stage as you arrive on the aiming mark with a less solid position such as standing I found there could be a tendancy in some cases to inadvertantly very slightly release the first stage whilst refining the aim, then when you go to take the shot you have to retake that part of the first stage again wasting a good hold, if you don't take the first stage until the aim is refined then that is a total waste of a good hold.
Robin
RobinC

Your theory made me think seriously about switching to a single stage trigger. I really waste a lot of good aiming because of trigger pull, Cause I normally reach the bull easily then start pulling the trigger.
My trigger weight is light - which helps a lot - but I agree with you; I do think that single stage might be the solution So I'm hopefully going to try it soon.

Thanks,
Jenni
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Hi Jenni
Probably the best coaching books, Air rifle Shooting, and Ways of the Rifle, both MEC books by the same authors advise single stage triggers.

I use and prefer single stage on an air rifle, not so sure on a smallbore prone but only really because I havn't tried it and I'm happy with my prone trigger technique. I'm nothing special with an air rifle, but those I coach have found improvement with a single stage.
My wife is an ex international air rifle shooter now shooting for fun in retirement, she tried single stage, thought it was better but went back to two stage because she was so used to two stage she found single allien even though she thought it was better, I'm not a phsychiatrist so can't explain that!
Just having shot in the British Championships this week end quite successfully she now says she's going to try it again as she is convinced its an advantage especially in those stress moments and that she could have done better with a single stage.
But it does need a bit of practice to get used to it, its not a try for a day job, it needs time to aclimatise to it.
Single stage also won't sort out poor trigger control, and you still need to sort out the side of the brain that want's to gaze lovingly at a superb sight picture and not move the finger, but if you have trained your brain to move the finger when the picture is good then I think a single stage is better.
Good shooting
Robin

Post by Guest »

Hi guys.
Thanks for all the replies.I have been "tinkering" with the new Bleiker which is set with a two stage trigger when it arrived but Im used to a single stage so I think Ill try put it back as something else to train the brain to learn I feel is not going to be healthy.I just remember the Russian coach saying when finger on trigger...trigger ready.And hey if it doesnt work then it can be put back so no real loss.It does have a very smooth trigger I must say.