Prone question...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

honeybunz

Prone question...

Post by honeybunz »

what is the best position for smallbore prone?? (50ft) high, low in between?
EricP

Post by EricP »

I am pretty new to this sport but let me share what I have learned over the past year working on my prone position.

I have experimented with a high and a low sling position. Also have tried several handstop positions that ultimately changes the angle of your support arm. Trying to copy a "good" shooters position has in many cases resulted in me trying to use a position that just didn't work with my body.

If you watch footage of olympic level shooters you will notice a huge difference in position, but they all are using their bodies the most affective way they can.

I have found that International Rifle Guide prepared by the USAMU and distributed by the CMP provides very good information about the characteristics that a solid prone position must have.

EricP
honeybunz

Post by honeybunz »

i forgot to specify that i wasnt sure about the position of the buttplate....
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

They all work, is the only useful answer. You have to figure out what's comfortable for you, suits your build and style of shooting, and train like hell at it. There aren't any magic solutions to make it easier, unfortunately, and that's going to be a constant. They all have trade-offs too. High positions place more pressure on the elbows. Tights sling setups cause more discomfort in the support hand. I use both, and need to train my tempo ruthlessly in order to maintain focus and minimise my discomfort over time, without compromising the efficiency and accuracy of the process. Low positions never really suited me, but they work for others well enough. Just have to play around with everything really.
Durkee Atwood

Re: Prone question...

Post by Durkee Atwood »

honeybunz wrote:what is the best position for smallbore prone?? (50ft) high, low in between?
I am not sure if you are asking about general position or sling position.

Body Position
If general prone position then the trend now is to ensure the chest doesn't cause undue rise and fall when breathing. Raising the right knee allows the body to be supported so that a higher head, shoulder and chest position is gained. Although this relieves the unwanted movement it does mean that the elbows have to hold up more weight and can suffer somewhat for this. Holding the knee too high will result in pain in the lower back as your spine goes into twist. So go for the most comfortable position for you. Do not forget that a little exercise to warm the muscles and some stretches about ten minutes before shooting will help to find a relaxed position.

Sling Position
This is a matter of personal preferrence however, if you find that the high position hurts your hand then lower it. The sling provides support for the weight of the rifle so you might find that when you take the ralaxed hold (you do take the relaxed hold don't you?) that the pressure on the hand is excruciating and you inadvertantly relieve it by tensioning the muscles in your left arm. and the pain then transfers to your left elbow. If you suffer from either or both then the sling is too high.

The sling should not touch the rifle at any other point other than the sling loop at the hand stop. It should not contact the forearm (too low or too long).

Other high/low considerations
Breath. In the relaxed hold the sights will pass through the target from low to high as you breath in then out. Where you hold your breath is again where you feel most comfortable. Many find the middle position with lungs half full and the breath held until the shot is released is best. Some say that the breath should be held with the lungs empty as this is a natural stop position - this means that the target picture is made when the front sight is in the top most position and the breath stilled at that point. Stick to one or the other as this will cause vertical stringing otherwise.

The big thing here is consistancy in all things and make notes. If you can...dry shoot dry shoot dry shoot (no ammunition) and concentrate on the core techniques RELAXED AIM. If it aint relaxed and there is pain anywhere then something isn't right. If you find you are changing your sights too often then go back to basics and forget the spotting scope (use notepad and pen) and concentrate on your follow-through to confirm shot (note the duff ones).