Bicycle tubing over ap grip?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dev

Bicycle tubing over ap grip?

Post by Dev »

Well i have been wondering about this for a while. What if I ran a small piece of cycle tube over the LP 10 grip? Would this be illegal for competition?

The reason for trying it is because I was wondering if it could feel like a rubber pachmayr grip. I apologise in advance if this is a heretical idea.

Regards and tens to all of you wonderful people.

Dev
David Levene

Re: Bicycle tubing over ap grip?

Post by David Levene »

Dev wrote:Well i have been wondering about this for a while. What if I ran a small piece of cycle tube over the LP 10 grip? Would this be illegal for competition?
Completely legal providing that it still fits in the box and doesnt mess up any of the angles.
Dev

Good to know

Post by Dev »

Hi David,

Thank you for clarifying that, now I shall try out the idea.

Regards,

Dev
joel

Post by joel »

For a better fit, you might try some large shrink tubing that requires a heat gun. That would provide a nice tight grip.

fwiw,

Joel
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

joel wrote:For a better fit, you might try some large shrink tubing that requires a heat gun. That would provide a nice tight grip.

fwiw,

Joel
It would but it's likely to be quite slippy.

Rob.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

If you want the grip to feel sticky, you can do what the base ball players do - rub some rosin on your hands and on the grip. I tried this for a while, but was not satisfied with the feel. Now I have applied some pieces of abrasive tape in a few areas to keep my hand from shifting.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

My first coach at MIT was a fan of hockey tape. For those in warmer climes, this is the black stuff they wrap the grips of hockey sticks with. The stickum tends to ooze a bit so it's not the tidiest stuff on the planet, but it will definitely give you are non-slip grip.

We also had an aerosol can of stuff that was sold to athletes for baseball bats or something. Some of the guys referred to it as "B*lls in a can" because it helped if you got nervous and your hands perspired. One of the assistant coaches was a very mild-mannered & proper gentleman, and it always annoyed him when the students got the least bit crude, especially in front of other teams & coaches. The team went co-ed in the mid-70's, and he almost had a heart-attack when our one woman shooter loudly asked for the "B*lls in a can" at an away match.
Dev

Great ideas

Post by Dev »

Thank you for all of your ideas. I think I should be able to lay my hands on the hockey stick grip wrap. Loved the B***s in the can anecdote. :-)

Have just restarted practice and I usually begin with adjusting or fiddling with the grip at first. The good part about practice is discovering that you can come back to form in almost the same time that one went out of form or thereabouts.

Most grateful to all of you crack shots.

Dev
Chris

Post by Chris »

You could also try some very fine sand and then take a 2 part epoxy and mix the epoxy. Spread the mixed epoxy onto the grip and then sprinkle some of the sand onto the area where you spread the epoxy. Optionally you can then paint the area.

I have done this on my LP10 and I am very happy with the results many years later.
luftskytter

Sticky grip?

Post by luftskytter »

Easy:

Standard procedure in Norway is "Griptape" that they use on skateboards. Also available as anti skid material for boat decks etc. Often comes as self adhesive. Just cut som strips and stick on the surfaces that need to "grip". Simple alternative to chequering or stippling.

Tried it and it works. Guess it's well known over there too....
kirtar

Post by kirtar »

Fred Mannis wrote:If you want the grip to feel sticky, you can do what the base ball players do - rub some rosin on your hands and on the grip. I tried this for a while, but was not satisfied with the feel. Now I have applied some pieces of abrasive tape in a few areas to keep my hand from shifting.
As a violinist, I quite honestly would not suggest this if it's the same type of rosin that I use on my bow. When that comes into contact with the oil on your hand it will make a sticky paste that is incredibly difficult to get off of wood or even the metal of a string. Granted, the stickiness is an intended effect in this case, I personally wouldn't do it. Talc powder to keep your hand dry on the other hand, I would consider.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Chris wrote:You could also try some very fine sand and then take a 2 part epoxy and mix the epoxy. Spread the mixed epoxy onto the grip and then sprinkle some of the sand onto the area where you spread the epoxy.

I have done this on my LP10 and I am very happy with the results many years later.
Ditto, only I used Silicon carbide (used to polish rocks) in the #1, or coarse, range.

I sometimes have a Really hot and sweaty palm that resulted in a grip that wasn't always the same. This stuff provides air gaps that help the heat and sweat disperse, plus it's rough enough to Really hold onto your palm. It was abusively rough when I first applied it, but nothing that a couple dozen hours of practice didn't take care of.

I couldn't be happier and I will absolutely do it to grips in the future.
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

It's.... beautiful.

I also like the cheat sheet on the rearsight adjustments. I can't get my head around that thing either.
Dev

Great ideas

Post by Dev »

I had been trying to scour around for the hockey tape when I remembered another thing...tennis racquet grip tape. It should be available close to my house in the pro-shop.

Wow, Brian your hands would really deliver a stunning slap with that kind of conditioning. Just got me some twenty kilos more of weights, now I'd like to see how the pistol gets heavy in a match :-).

Regards,

Dev
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

My pistol failed EQ at a comp on Sunday as I had made the grip too fat. I had to keep filing some off and retrying it in the the box to get it to pass.