Morini CM84e vs Steyr Match FP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
JiriK

Morini CM84e vs Steyr Match FP

Post by JiriK »

I left my gun permit application forms to local police station yesterday.

Buying a free pistol is getting closer. I´v actually already made a reservation on a second hand (very little use) Steyr Match FP.
But today I spoke to other shooters at the range. One guy has Toz and Morini fp. He doesn´t need two and likes Toz more so he might sell the Morini for approx. 1000€. The Steyr pistol I´v reserved costs 400€.

Prices on second hand guns aren´t really comparable, but how much better is the Morini? Steyr price sure is tempting..
Looking at recent international FP competitions, over 50% shoot with a Morini pistol and not one with a Steyr. Of course, Morini is still in production and Steyr is not.

Guy said he´s Morini has "S" and "M" sized grips. Do those correlate to some mm dimension? Steyr grips (comes with two) seem a bit small so some woodworking is to be expected if I go that way.

How to dry fire the Steyr?
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

There is no dryfire mode on the Steyr. I used an empty in the chambere so I wouldn't damage the firing pin or breech of the barrel.
The Steyr is more for collectors than shooters. You will be happier with a TOZ or Morini if you plan to shoot in competition.
lastman

Post by lastman »

I've never shot either pistol.

But I'd be going for the Morini.

If anything goes wrong on the Steyr, it's going to be difficult to get parts for.

The Steyr looks really cool, but at the end of the day looks don't really help.

Good luck
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I'm a Steyr fan and would love to own a Steyr FP, but like others have said its more of a collectors thing, an oddity. I too would go for the Morini as a competition pistol.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

So why did the Steyr fail? Or is that the basis for another thread entirely ...

Roger
madmull

Post by madmull »

Do you want to own a collectors item buy the steyr.
For competition go for the morini

i own a morini and also did some shooting with the steyr.

1000 euro for a second hand morini is to high
600 to 700 euro is a fair price

look here for som actual prices: http://www.karlslundesport.dk
there are shops who have the morini for the 2010 price which comes around 1200 euro.

also look at matchguns: MG5 1200euro

madmull
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

I asked finnish importer of Steyr about parts for FP.
Answer was Steyr parts support is ok.

We finns have to pay more.. :(
CM84E - 1710€
MG5 - 940€ (they have a sale there)
MG5E - 1200€
(prices of new guns)

Those are list prices, except MG5 is on sale.
Who knows how much the gun really costs if one walks to the store with buying permit and money.

I wouldn´t even think about the steyr anymore if I had found a good used Morini for ~600€. But that ~1000€ pistol is the only used one for sale in Finland (that I know of)
Importing a pistol from other EU country.. May be too complicated. Gun laws are getting tighter all the time.

I will see the Morini pistol next saturday.
Almost hoping it doesn´t fit me..
I´ll save a lot of money if I buy the Steyr and can always blame the pistol for bad scores ´cause none of the top guys use it :D
JiriK

Post by JiriK »

So I bought the Steyr.

Now after some woodworking, v3 diy trigger and approx 600 shots fired..

This is the best target so far. Most others have had 8.4-8.6 average.
So a long way to go, but that feeling when you know you have shot a ten before checking the target with scope.. :D

How much different bullet brand/model etc. affect free pistol?
Them rifle shooters seem to complain about their cartridges all the time..

I have been using my old stock before starting to buy new bullets.
That target was shot with "Tarkka" - a Finnish brand name for some russian ammo that I bought maybe 15 years ago.
Red box, loads of wax on bullet, covers table with small flakes, makes pistol really dirty.. They worked well but are all gone now so next is either CCI standard in a white box or Aguila SE (both at least 10 years old)
Old cartridges but all fire in a free pistol. With Benelli mp90s I get maybe 3 cartridges that don´t fire on first try/pack of 50 using aguila.

Manual tells to clean that muzzle brake cone every now and then.
Cleaned mine today. Part had maybe 0.5mm layer of lead on it.. Bad for accuracy/muzzle brake operation?
Attachments
IMG_0262-small.JPG