Transparent front sights

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Funny Farmer

Transparent front sights

Post by Funny Farmer »

Hi all,
has anybody tried out a transparent colored front sight yet? I saw them being offered in red, yellow and green. I am curious about your experiences, if any.

Robert
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Front sights with translucent coloured inserts have been discussed many times over the years.

All I will say is that, for ISSF shooting, it is extremely rare to see them being used by top level competitors.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You mean you've actually seen them?

I never even heard of them, except for rifle.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:You mean you've actually seen them?
If we're talking about the same thing, a translucent insert in a vertical slot in the front sight, then I first tried them (red and green versions) about 30 years ago on my GSP.

I found them a total waste of time.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Now - what was the brand of European pistol that came out with a red plasic front sight that melted when shooters 'smoked' them...

coloured sights for ISSF pistol is one of those items that comes up as a fantastic new (?) idea about once every decade or so
Rover

Post by Rover »

I melted the rear sight on a Gamo while trying to smoke it. It cleaned up OK with a file, though. I'll stick to smoking medicinal herbs.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I think the point David was making was that if they actually were good and did anything then you'd see top shooters using them or the other thing would be the ISSF would ban them. As neither of those things are true, you can make your own decision. They may be beneficial to someone that has a specific eye problem but I don't thing they will help normal shooters shoot better scores.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

John McNally used to use one for rapid fire. He milled (or filed) a notch in his front sight and put a piece of colored fiber optic cable in the slot.

I could not see it being an advantage for the precision events, though.
JohnLK

Post by JohnLK »

I bought an orange fiber optic front sight from Don Nygord. Used it on my LP10 and then later on my 162E. Didn't use it a lot but did use it from time to time when I was shooting a lot 6 or 7 years ago. Was kind of a novelty. Didn't help much but didn't hurt much either. It was useable though.
JLK
Funny Farmer

Post by Funny Farmer »

If we're talking about the same thing, a translucent insert in a vertical slot in the front sight,
We may be talking of different types. I mean the front sights that are made of a single block of colored glass. Not the fibre glass insert that creates a small dot.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Funny Farmer wrote:
If we're talking about the same thing, a translucent insert in a vertical slot in the front sight,
We may be talking of different types. I mean the front sights that are made of a single block of colored glass. Not the fibre glass insert that creates a small dot.
We are effectively talking about the same thing although the ones I used had a thin stripe of the original black metal sight at each side.

My days of thinking that all of these "toys" will help are long gone. Provided that I don't get mind-drift then my biggest problem is holding the gun still; and that's purely down to lack of work.
JohnLK

Post by JohnLK »

Mine was an actual complete front sight shaped like the original.
Funny Farmer

Post by Funny Farmer »

I did not find a picture on the Internet so I did a quick drawing. The bottom is a metal plate or frame that screws to the base like a normal front sight. The sight itself is made of glass, the rear edge is slanted a bit. They are made for various models of match APs (Steyr LPs, Anschütz etc.) and in different colors such as red, yellow and I also saw one in clear glass once.

scerir

Post by scerir »

What about using the usual black front sight surrounded with translucent material? This way one could see the target defocused, blurry. But I do not know if such a front sight would be ISSF 'legal'.....
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

scerir wrote:This way one could see the target defocused, blurry.
I always see the target "defocused, blurry". That's a side effect of looking at the sights.
scerir wrote:But I do not know if such a front sight would be ISSF 'legal'.....
If you can see the target through the material of the sights then I would class them as "optical", and therefore not allowed.
scerir

Post by scerir »

David Levene wrote: I always see the target "defocused, blurry". That's a side effect of looking at the sights.
That's correct. But hypermetropic eyes, often, when focused on the front sight are also focused on the target (that is to say, they cannot see the target blurry enough).
David Levene wrote: If you can see the target through the material of the sights then I would class them as "optical", and therefore not allowed.
That's possible. "Only open sights are allowed. Optical, mirror, telescope, laserbeam, electronically projected dot sights etc., are prohibited."