New .22 Pistol Needed

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

JamesH

New .22 Pistol Needed

Post by JamesH »

I sold my Izh35M, it was fairly worn, started doubling and its never really suited me.

FAS don't seem to be available any longer, it seems to come down to a Pardini - I don't like the length, a Morini or an FWB AW93.

Which is the more reliable of the Morini or FWB?

Does anyone know if the slide breakage of the FWB has been resolved, or if its going to keep bobbing up forever, it doesn't look like a robust design.

All suggestions and advice welcome.
j-team

Post by j-team »

What's not to like about the Pardini length?

I would choose the FWB for reliability and the Morini for ergonimics.

Yes the FWB will go for ever but not the best design if you want to shoot Rapid Fire or Standard Pistol.

The Morinis issues are easily solved (polish the chamber etc).
visitor

Post by visitor »

The Morinis issues are easily solved (polish the chamber etc).
Are you kidding? Polish the chamber on a 2-grand pistol? That's nuts. I was going to say, "No offense intended"; but an outfit that builds an expensive pistol that may need its chamber polished perhaps ought to be offended.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

That applies to both Morini and FWB it seems....
Leon

Post by Leon »

The chambers of booth are dimensioned to suit European .22 ammunition - which is ever so slightly smaller than American. Chamber polishing mentioned here is allow reliable chambering of the larger American ammunition, not to correct any chamber defects.

You can do the polishing yourself - David M posted excellent details some time ago on how to do this for a FWB.
j-team

Post by j-team »

It is more the standard of finish I am refering to with the Morini. They seem to be a bit rough. Have a look at the fired cases and you will see the scuffing on the brass.
visitor

Post by visitor »

[/quote]It is more the standard of finish I am refering to with the Morini. They seem to be a bit rough. Have a look at the fired cases and you will see the scuffing on the brass.

As I suspected, you know the difference between polishing and reaming.
JamesHu

Post by JamesHu »

So apart from a potentially duff chamber is there anything I need to know about the morini?

I think I would get the CM22M Alu.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Have you also considered a Hammerli SP20 and a Matchguns MG2?
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I've considered them and for various reasons narrowed it down to the Morini and FWB, neither are even close to ideal.

Another reason why I need to develop my own target pistol....
yana

Post by yana »

Féél them yrself and choose. We cant feel for you!
I have a Pardini SP myself, allthough I love my 162 morini AP, I didnt like the morini .22. Its SO personal.
Dont think you can go wrong with either.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

yana wrote:Féél them yrself and choose. We cant feel for you!
It seems to me that James has already tried them and has decided on either a Morini or an FWB.

He is now just looking for input on reliability and build quality.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Another option would be the Walther SSP. It has more grip rake than aw93 , is lighter in front, can be fitted with damping weigh and in the near future it will be available with e-trigger. From the limited coverage i get in the world cup videos aw93 and cm22 can be seen mostly in women's sport pistol discipline. RF is dominated by the Pardini and in rare occasions i have seen in the videos the presence of SSP and MG2. Another overlooked candidate might be the Bennelli.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

SSP looks like a work in progress at this point, and if Walther can mess up the GSP by 'improving' it I'm doubtful a new pistol will be a triumph.
FredB

Post by FredB »

JamesH wrote:SSP looks like a work in progress at this point, and if Walther can mess up the GSP by 'improving' it I'm doubtful a new pistol will be a triumph.
James,

Could you please explain specifically how the new GSP version is messed up compared to the old? I've never handled one, but it doesn't look that different.

Thanks,
FredB
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

The trigger units used to be pretty good, not so much now.
FredB

Post by FredB »

JamesH wrote:The trigger units used to be pretty good, not so much now.
Do you mean the change from the single-stage unit to the two-stage unit? Or was the two-stage unit modified or changed for the Expert model?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

IMHO SSP with mechanical trigger is quite finished. it was its peculiarities but most bugs have been corrected. as for gsp trigger james i guess you refer to the old OSP style ones. the trigger units of late gsp or gsp expert we have at our club are not different. only a bit worn more because we had 2 sets (1000/1360gr) and because we used to switch them a lot. what about benelli? it has performed very well in the hands of klimov. also mg2 can be ordered with alu or steel for the front weight which alters the balance. also you can get a customized grip which is very nice (mine is the best grip i have and i am trying to find a way to copy it to all my other pistols).
TB

Post by TB »

ghostrip wrote:(mine is the best grip i have and i am trying to find a way to copy it to all my other pistols).
Rink can copy your favorit grip to other pistols. Tycho had it done.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

Or just order the whole MG series. LOL. Well i like to experiment a little. A long time ago i tried and copied an old grip of mine to use it on my then new LP10 using rubber silicone and a type of resin i used for scale modelling. grip was good but too heavy. nowadays i have found liquid plastic. i have made plastic copies of the front sights for both my mg2 and the club gsp i use for cf to enable quick change of point of impact between sp/cf/rf without messing with rear sight adjustments (inspired by the interchangeble rear sight of SSP and the front variable height sights i have seen on e-gun for GSP).