New LP10 Compensator

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
lastman

New LP10 Compensator

Post by lastman »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any difference between the new LP10 Compensator and the old LP10 Compensator?

Also why did the develop a new compensator?

I had a bit of a search through the archives and couldn't find much.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

What little info I've found says that the "new" was developed to reduce an instability caused as the pellet left the barrel.

If one happens into my lap for cheap, I'll install it ~ but I'm not going out of my way to worry about the "old" version in my pistol.
renzo

Post by renzo »

I knew it!!!

Those high-right 8's that ruin my 95+ series are the fault of my old Steyr LP-10 Compensator.

Sorry, I've got to leave. The last Lufthansa flight to Austria is about to depart, and I don't want to miss it. I HAVE to have this gadget!!!
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

lastman wrote:

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any difference between the new LP10 Compensator and the old LP10 Compensator?
Every LP10 pistol comes with a factory test target that shows a small single hole group, just slightly larger than the 4,5 cal. pellet...

The new 8 duct compensator looks cool, but can it produce a smaller group? I don't think so...

Would I like to get one for my older LP10 pistol?

Sure, if Steyr sells it to me cheap!
BEA

LP 10 compensator

Post by BEA »

My guess is the 8 port comp has little effect because by the time the pellet passes this point, most of the air pressure has been relieved by the 3 ports in the top of the barrel and the 2 ports near the end of the barrel. However, this does not mean that the 8 port comp has no positive effect. My LP 10 does not have this new comp but it is accurate the way it is and I do not feel compelled to make any changes. If you want to try the new comp, then there is no reason not to and there is certainly nothing to loose. New comp or not, the standout feature of the LP 10 is the stabilizer which makes this model lay absolutely flat when firing, and what a pleasure they are to shoot.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I switched over to the new one on the grounds that they wouldn't have spent lots of time and money engineering a new one if it wasn't better in some way. I don't doubt the change is imperceptible but then the new one isn't exactly expensive to buy either, and being a tart, I think it looks better ;).

Rob.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

There was a review of the Männel modified Steyr LP10 in VISIER sometime last year. The groups with the Männel comp were not satisifying, so they tried the original (new model) Steyr comp - which didn't perform so well, either, so finally they tried the old style comp, and that worked best of all...
Rover

Post by Rover »

I guess all the guys that drank the LP10 Kool-Ade should have tried a Morini.
BEA

LP 10 compensator

Post by BEA »

Rover,

I have seen enough of your posts to know that you are kidding and just want to see what reaction you will get from the readers. I am currently shooting a Morini 162ei Titanium that belongs to a friend. He was kind enough to let me keep it for a couple weeks. It is a very nice pistol and I would have no issue owning one...wish I could own both it and my Steyr. I love the Morini electronic trigger. I have been shooting it along side my LP10 for about a week and find that the Morini does bounce a little when fired whereas the LP10 is absolutely flat. The bounce is nothing offensive, but once you have fired the Steyr, you do have to get accustomed to the Morini sensation. I removed the stabilizer from my Steyr and it still bounces less than the Morini. This tells me that the ports/compensators are serving some function. The 8 port comp is there more for accuracy improvement but my standard model is very accurate. If the grips on the Morini were fitted to me, I feel that I would shoot it as well as the Steyr. My hat goes off to the Steyr engineers, however, for their ingenuity in this design and I am not sure what they can do to improve it. They were definitely forward thinking. I think that Morini is feeling the pressure because they have introduced the Titanium version of the 162 and changed the color. I have not fired the standard 162ei so do not know if the T model is an actual improvement. Any of these models should make the owner proud and it is just a matter of personal preference. Rover, sorry I didn't take the bait, but maybe next time. I don't know how to insert a smiley face, so please use your imagination. Cheers!
MDK

Post by MDK »

RobStubbs wrote: I think it looks better ;).

Rob.
For me, this is the point. If it makes you happy go ahead!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Damn, it looks like you got me pegged, BEA.

I can't help myself...some of these guys just get so EXCITED!
jbshooter

Trigger feel

Post by jbshooter »

I wonder if shooters like the Morini electronic trigger because it is electronic. I like the Morini electronic trigger because of it frictionless feel when pulling through the first stage, and the feel of the resistance just before let off. My LP10 trigger (ball bearing one) felt gritty in comparison.
BEA

LP10 Comp

Post by BEA »

The Morini trigger is definitely worth liking. I hope the Steyr electronic trigger is as good but I have never fired one. I would like to. I am not putting down the Steyr mechanical trigger because it is a good one, but the electronic has a different feel...less movement before it breaks. My trigger has never felt gritty nor been responsible for holding me back. I had a Steyr CO2 model years ago and it had a excellent mechanical trigger too.

Rover, I appreciate your sense of humor.

Regards,
BEA
lastman

Post by lastman »

Thanks all,

Thought I'd drop in before this turns into another Steyr V Morini debate, which nobody will ever win.

I figured there'd be very little difference between the 2 compensators. The Steyr site says it reduces turbulence.

But like a few people I think it looked so much cooler than the old one, I managed to pick one up pretty cheap, so I figure I'll install it and see if it makes a difference or not.

Thanks
antispar

Post by antispar »

Club colleague has got the new compensator. When tested accuracy of different pellets in the vice his LP10 was not more accurate then two other LP10 with old style compensators. Pellets were not of great quality, we were looking for best ones among several brands of cheap ones that we use for training (oddly enough, unknown Chinese pellets who someone brought in the club were the most accurate).
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

antispar wrote:Club colleague has got the new compensator. When tested accuracy of different pellets in the vice his LP10 was not more accurate then two other LP10 with old style compensators. Pellets were not of great quality, we were looking for best ones among several brands of cheap ones that we use for training (oddly enough, unknown Chinese pellets who someone brought in the club were the most accurate).
That's not a valid comparison, you need to compare the same gun with both different compensators.

I think though most agree it will have next to no difference in how the gun shoots even if it is slightly better, as all top AP's when benched will put the pellets through a single hole (with the right pellets).

As a slight aside, I have also recently had my trigger upgraded to the ball-bearing trigger. Now to me it feels slightly better and smoother, but then I know it's different so I would believe it should feel different...

Rob.
Brian G

Post by Brian G »

RobStubbs wrote: and being a tart, I think it looks better ;).

Rob.
You're looking at the wrong end ;-)
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

RobStubbs wrote:As a slight aside, I have also recently had my trigger upgraded to the ball-bearing trigger. Now to me it feels slightly better and smoother, but then I know it's different so I would believe it should feel different...

Rob.
That's something I'd love to blind test. Mine's still mechanical and I don't see a need or reason to change it (plus, I've been without employment since May 2009, damn economy, so no money), but I'm interested if one could even feel a difference.

For the Steyr/Morini debate, for ME, the adjustability of the grip was the ultimate deciding factor. That was the only complaint I had with my IZH46, so that was the problem I wanted an absolute solution for. It's the better pistol, FOR ME, because of that one very simple reason. I've conveniently avoided testing electronic triggers for a reason... ignorance is bliss. :D
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Brian M wrote:
RobStubbs wrote:As a slight aside, I have also recently had my trigger upgraded to the ball-bearing trigger. Now to me it feels slightly better and smoother, but then I know it's different so I would believe it should feel different...

Rob.
That's something I'd love to blind test. Mine's still mechanical and I don't see a need or reason to change it (plus, I've been without employment since May 2009, damn economy, so no money), but I'm interested if one could even feel a difference.
My gun had to go back to Austria for inspection of a perceived frame crack. So once they'd checked it was fine, I asked how much would it cost to modify the trigger. It was a small amount so I got the work done.

Rob.
markwarren

New compensator

Post by markwarren »

I too have wanted to put the new compensator on my LP10 for no other reason than it looks cool and at 28 euro it won't break the bank. I have amproblem though, they only do them in silver and mine is a black bodied LP10 with black air cylinders so it would look out of place.

As soon, and if they release a black one I'll be first in line to get one :)

Some people may think it's sad just to upgrade for looks but it's my pistol and I'll do what I like to it :) :) and maybe, just maybe it will make me shoot better (average 545 at the monent so LOTS of room for improvement) - but I love this sport.

Cheers

Mark