Colt Python repair

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Earlyriser

Colt Python repair

Post by Earlyriser »

Would anyone with first -hand experience care to comment on Colt factory repair in terms of (1) quality of work, (2) turn around time, (3) cost?
My Python has very quickly developed heavy trigger and cocking pull on two chambers. The advice I have seen in these forums is use a gunsmith specializing in Colt revolvers (two found) or send the gun to Colt.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Have you taken it apart and cleaned and lubricated it ?

You will be surprised how old oil and solvent staying inside the action of a revolver for aperiod of time will thicken and make the function stiffer, let alone the crud that can build up inside the lock work.

JMHO, but 8 times out of ten, the pistol needs to be stripped down, and I mean stripped down and cleaned.

This usually makes it function like night and day.
I am just saying...

Clarence
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

C. Perkins wrote:JMHO, but 8 times out of ten, the pistol needs to be stripped down, and I mean stripped down and cleaned.
The single best source of cheap old Colt double-action revolvers is when people try to fully disassemble and clean them. Often, they can't get them back together properly. I'll take apart most any weapon but I leave my Colts alone.

If I suspected that a Colt I owned truly needed a deep, internal cleaning to work better, I'd give it to a local shop that does ultrasonic cleaning without disassembly. Caution: after ultrasonic cleaning, proper re-oiling is required.
Earlyriser wrote:...The advice I have seen in these forums is use a gunsmith specializing in Colt revolvers (two found)...
I may be revealing my age, but afaik Moran and Sadowski (sp?) are no longer around.

Jungkind theoretically is still working (at least as of a couple of years ago) but he has the online presence of a ghost. Grant Cunningham has a two-year wait list and isn't accepting new work at the moment. Frank Glenn is still an option. Two of those three are in their 80s, are rather costly, and have very long turnaround times.

I also need some work done on a DA Colt. For the reasons cited above, I've just about made up my mind to send it to Colt. However, I'd like to be aware of *all* the options. So I'm wondering - Who are the two 'smiths you've found?
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

BenEnglishTX wrote: Jungkind theoretically is still working (at least as of a couple of years ago) but he has the online presence of a ghost.
Actually, strike Reeves. I was confused about his status since you can occasionally find online reports of him doing some work. It seems he has been retired for a number of years and only occasionally does some work for friends or friends of friends. If you don't already know him and have a standing relationship, he's not an option.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Ben, you are probably right about damaging the pistol from inadequate pistol smithing knowledge.

I smith all of my revolvers, past and present(I enjoy Kuhnhausen's shop manuals).

I dabble in automatics, but if I want a great job done, then I send it out, LOL.

Earlyriser;
Your options are to have it cleaned or send it in to Colt.
If you are able to at least remove the crane and cylinder for a good cleaning and lubrication and reinstall, that may well be all it needs.
Colts have very tight tolerances, hand fitted.
I am guessing that there is crud on the crane where the cylinder spins upon.
Old toothbrush and solvent and clean under the ejector, lubricate and reinstall...
I would clean it first.
Let us know what you find.

Clarence
Earlyriser

Post by Earlyriser »

Thanks for all the good info. After determining that the problem had to be with the ratchet and with unskilled eye seeing no apparent damage with 4X loupe, but seeing some small particles of ???, I gave the whole assembly a good working over with small stiff brush. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I do not have to deal with FedEx or UPS.!!!
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

That is great !

Glad to be of some help now and then.

Clarence
mayhaw12

Post by mayhaw12 »

Hello All, I have just come across a Colt .38 MK-111 Offercers Model
with 6" Brl. Wonder how old the MK111 are and will this make a good Bullseye Revolver.
Mayhaw12
dlb

Post by dlb »

.. just to add the the recommendations for Colt gunsmiths, in case anyone references this thread in the future, Cylinder & Slide (i.e. Bill Laughridge) works on Colt revolvers as well. They'd fixed the timing and tuned up an old Colt Officers Model Special of mine, and did a very nice job.
mayhaw12

Post by mayhaw12 »

Thanks a Lot dlb, This Rev feels real in my hand and It shoots better
than I can hold it. I have heard of C & Slide, Good reports on that Smith.
Will be working up a load for this Rev maybe 2.8 WST good place to start.
Thanks Again!!
Mayhaw12