raising above target then lowering?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

raising above target then lowering?

Post by toddinjax »

Could someone explain why one would want to raise a pistol higher than your area of aim and then lower down into it? It just strikes me "wasted energy" to lift a weight 60 or 70 times, higher than where you'll aim. I've read (in Leatherdale's Successful Pistol Shooting I think) that some do not raise past the target, but most ISSF vids I've watched all seem to use this technique. Thanks,todd.
Popeye

Slow Fire Techniques

Post by Popeye »

I'm not sure what others do, but for precision and slow fire events such as air pistol and 50m pistol, raising the pistol above the target and lowering to the usual hold on target is consistent and contemporaneously done with inhaling on the lift, and exhaling slightly on lowering to the target. It seems to work well with the overall rhythm and routine.

It is different with rapid/centre fire events as there is no time to work on the slow fire rhythm so lifting to the centre of the target and firing is necessary.

It's good to question techniques....

Popeye
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Inhale as you lift the pistol to above the target. Slowly exhale and your arm will fall. Hold your breathe when you get to your aiming area (ideally your lungs will be half full). Squeeze off your shot.

I do know shooters from the old school who shoot on the rise. That is, lift the arm, slowly increasing pressure on the trigger and firing when it reaches the aiming area. OK for rapidfire where you don't have time to settle down but not for precision shooting.
trinity

Post by trinity »

It is easier for your muscles to slowly relax (let go) than it is for you to command your muscles to slowly contract.

Try it, I think you will find it is easier to slowly lower something, or at least, easier to control the rate of lower, than it is to slowly raise something.

However you approach the target, the point is consistency. As long as you do it the same way each time, you'll do fine.

-trinity
jackh

Post by jackh »

Could it be we are raising not only the pistol, but our whole posture. Then we settle all.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As Trininty says, you have much better fine motor control over relaxing the muscles than contracting them, hence can be more 'precise'. For most folks it also fits in very well with the breathing cycle and just feels natural. But there's no absolute requirement to over raise and lower, some top shooters just raise onto the target (but most don't).

I would suggest you try both methods (say for a month each) and see what works best for you.

Rob.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Another benefit is that it allows you to acquire good sight alignment and focus without that pesky round black thing getting in the way.

Doug White
lastman

Post by lastman »

As previous poster have discussed, it greatly assists in muscle tension. The natural resting position for your arms is by your side. The muscles in your back, chest and shoulder will always pull your arms back towards your side.

If your only raising to the height of your aiming area there is more downward tension on your arm to return to the aiming area. Lifting your arms above the aiming area allows those muscles to be stretched further thus creating less downward tension to return to the natural state.

I also fid it easier to align the sights as I lower into the aiming area rather than raising into the aiming area and also to sequence the shot better.

Good luck
T191032

Post by T191032 »

Given the [sometimes] shaky state of my shooting, I gave the technique a try (raising above, then setting back down) and found it worth continuing to try it while shooting.
orionshooter

Post by orionshooter »

Gwhite has nailed it. Setting up sight alignment without a visual of the bull is a definite advantage. The breathing cycle comment by the perpetually well informed Mr. Stubbs is also spot on.
tufty

Post by tufty »

Tried this today,and pleased with the results,after a few practise cards,shot a 45ex50 and a 44ex50.definitely worth continuing with for practise sessions before the winter season starts,breathing control seems much more natural using this method