Rika air target system - white back plates not really white

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rika air target system - white back plates not really white

Post by Guest »

Hi all,
we got some new target systems (model "World Champion") from RIKA and chose to use white back plates. I am a bit disappointed now to see that these plates are not as I expected brilliant white to blend into the background but rather have a light yellowish hue. The light strikes them at an angle which makes them appear even darker because they are highly reflective rather than matt finished.

What are your experiences, is this state of the art or are more brilliant back plates available? Also I think that matting the surface might help so that they do not reflect so much light downwards, what do you think?

Robert
David Levene

Re: Rika air target system - white back plates not really wh

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:I am a bit disappointed now to see that these plates are not as I expected brilliant white to blend into the background but rather have a light yellowish hue.
I'm not sure whether brilliant white would blend into the "non-reflecting, light even neutral colour" background required by ISSF rule 6.3.17.1

Post by Guest »

Well what I meant is a flat white, like for example some of those plastic kitchen boards. Non-reflective would be preferable, the ones we received are high gloss.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

Robert
I have and use the same carrier. I am not totally sure of what the exact problem is which concerns you. With a target sent down range I do not ever think I have seen it when shooting. I certainly get no reflection from it that is bothersome in any . I have a horizontal neon 4' light just a few feet from my backstop which has two target traps attached. I also have a 60 watt small goose neck lamp which illuminates my target face. No visual problem at all from the backstop of the carrier. You will also see that it soon becomes very dirty with all the lead hitting it. The shine will be gone (hopefully in the 10 ring area).

Take a look at the fuse that is in the unit and buy a pack of replacements to have on hand.

Come see us in the woods.
Jack
Spencer

Re: Rika air target system - white back plates not really wh

Post by Spencer »

Have to ask...

...why did you opt for white back plates?
top end

Post by top end »

Have installed a few of these over the last few years. You can't see the plate when the target is down range. I don't think there is an option of a black backing plate. The surface is smooth and aids in the flattening of the pellet and directing it down into the trap. It is great system.

Post by Guest »

> You can't see the plate when the target is down range.

That's the optimum, I think we will fiddle with our lighting a bit. We use neon lights which are a few meters in front of the target area. They illuminate everything very well and even, but the light probably strikes the back plates at too sharp an angle and they appear darker. Maybe the yellowish hue is not so much a problem with good lighting, but even if you place them flat against a wall they stand out.

Adding gooseneck lamps might do the trick.

Reason for getting white plates was to have an uniform background without structure in it.

>The shine will be gone (hopefully in the 10 ring area).

I did not think of that, there are enough guys who shoot an even pattern at the back plate rather than hitting the center : ) We just renewed the entire range, there was lead spread about everywhere in the rear wall.

Post by Guest »

FYI - I received an official reply by RIKA and they confirmed that color variations exist but that the material is nonetheless correct. We will adjust our lighting which will hopefully do the job.

Robert
peterz

Post by peterz »

Get a can of spray paint and some masking tape and you can make it matte or high gloss, refrigerator white, coal black, or brilliant red, as your needs require. Check on an unobtrusive surface to be sure your paint and Rika's plastic are compatible.